What was in that grog? Scientists analyze ancient Nordic drink

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 11:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 01:32:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2014, 01:05:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 01:00:43 PM
they just modified the recipes as they saw fit.

From the article in the OP, it sounds like something brewmasters have always done.

Modified? Sure. Modified with modern ingredients while be mentioned as recreations?

Modified with ingredients at hand.

I doubt anyone is going to be able to find ingredients that are true in every respect to what had been used.  Well, unless Grumbler kept some from the old days but by now those will have gone bad.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2014, 02:57:17 PM

I doubt anyone is going to be able to find ingredients that are true in every respect to what had been used.  Well, unless Grumbler kept some from the old days but by now those will have gone bad.

I guess it is good that no one is asking for that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 03:08:33 PM

Might as well be, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 03:17:31 PM

I think there's a difference between that and pointedly adding an ingredient that wouldn't have been used in any form.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Dont call Grumbler a nobody  :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 03:19:24 PM
I think there's a difference between that and pointedly adding an ingredient that wouldn't have been used in any form.

Even if you're not likely to notice?

Do you also take issue with the fact that it's carbonated according to modern standards?  Or that it's been kept in a properly sealed container?  Or that hardly anyone will drink it at ambient temperature?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2014, 07:30:57 AM
How could they not know that they were making an undrinkable beverage before they started?

I'd guess that they did a number of "practice" batches before they settled on the one they actually sold. In short, they probably did try the "original" recipe, determined it to be too far off the beaten path (or their taste testers did), and modified just enough to make it palatable for more people but still be able to say that it's "pretty damn close" to the original, and sell it as such.

Some people like grumbler will be offended that it wasn't "true" to the recipe, but most people will care more that they've bought something worth drinking that also has a historical basis.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
I wasn't ever interested in them either way.  Gimmicky beers don't tend to draw me in, and I would imagine most painstakingly recreated historical brews would taste kind of nasty compared to what we drink these days.

They do. And they're also very weak.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 03:19:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 03:17:31 PM

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. Hops was actually used in beer that early (it's documented back to the 900s AD), but only by a very small segment of the population. If it wasn't hops, though, it would have been some other form of bittering, preservative item like wormwood (which is illegal to use now).

Basically, hops isn't too far outside the considered "norm" for the item they brewed.

Capetan Mihali

Hmm... meri and derspiess taking the same side of a disputed issue... and they've made me reconsider my position. :hmm: I feel pretty sure this has been prophesied in the Languish Book of Revelations somewhere.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 16, 2014, 05:44:07 PM
Hmm... meri and derspiess taking the same side of a disputed issue... and they've made me reconsider my position. :hmm: I feel pretty sure this has been prophesied in the Languish Book of Revelations somewhere.

It's brewing. We've agreed multiple times on brewing. :D

I'm actually going to be faithfully recreating a 13th century beer recipe later this month. I'll take detailed notes and report back. ;)

Capetan Mihali

Is 10% ABV realistic for something this old?  Seems awful high to me.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 16, 2014, 05:49:07 PM
Is 10% ABV realistic for something this old?  Seems awful high to me.

Only if you let it ferment longer than would have been done in period.

Period beers - in general - were very short fermentations, as in two or three days, tops. That was for three reasons: the fermentation was just to make the liquid drinkable, too much alcohol was considered bad for kids and women, and there were limited places to store the alcohol that would keep it from going bad. Some beers were developed for longer keeping - and higher alcohol content - but not many, not often, and only the wealthiest of folks could and did use this practice. Some beers, wines, and meads were made for holidays, but those were very special occasions, and there are a lot of notations about how special they were in the text we have from that period. In other words, it was pretty unusual to do so.

That means that, in general, most beers would be in the 1-3% range, similar to O'Doul's. They would also have been less sweet, more watery, and barely bubbly.

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 06:05:53 PM

Most recipes have a historical basis. :secret:

Yes, but few can be traced back 1000 years. :) When they can, it's pretty special to try to recreate them, even if imperfectly.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 16, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Yes, but few can be traced back 1000 years. :) When they can, it's pretty special to try to recreate them, even if imperfectly.

Probably even more special if one didn't pointedly add "imperfections". ;)