Are Today's Germans Morally Responsible for the Holocaust?

Started by Syt, January 23, 2014, 09:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Neil on January 23, 2014, 01:07:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2014, 11:21:44 AM
Um that was idiotic.  Whatever good points he might have made were pretty much ruined by that stupid crap about miscegenation.
Why?
Because self-hatred is involved in so many facets of human pair bonding, it seems silly to just single out the racial angle.

:lol:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

I refuse to be held responsible for anything my ancestors did, regardless of how horrible the crime was.  So I won't insist that others be held responsible either.

But I also make the distinction between states and individuals.  The German state has moral responsibily to admit guilt, fight revisionism, and take measures to prevent the same from happening. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 23, 2014, 03:05:36 PM
There's probably an evolutionary monkey reason for it, but I have no idea why modern people would feel guilt over the crimes of others. I reject the concept of guilt as anything but individual.

If people can feel pride for their group, for instance being a proud American, can they not also feel shame for the same reason?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2014, 08:17:16 PM
If people can feel pride for their group, for instance being a proud American, can they not also feel shame for the same reason?

Pride is a more fun affectation than shame.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2014, 09:41:27 AM
I think Germans have humanity has a moral responsibility to be aware that they, as a people species, were once capable of this type of action, and to guard against a repeat.
:)

edit: damnit, my point has already been made.  Damn work keeping me off Languish!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2014, 09:17:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2014, 09:41:27 AM
I think Germans have humanity has a moral responsibility to be aware that they, as a people species, were once capable of this type of action, and to guard against a repeat.
:)

edit: damnit, my point has already been made.  Damn work keeping me off Languish!  :mad:

Sure.  While we're at it, why not all mammals, or all vertebrates, or all life forms in the universe? :)

Genocides in the literal meaning of the word (in sharp contrast to the new, faggy, definition) are few and far between.  And the combination of medieval bigotry and industrial efficiency that was the Holocaust is totally unique in human history.

I don't feel Tibetans have any moral responsibility to guard against their tendency to exterminate entire ethnic groups.  Nor do Balians, or Swedes, or Australian aborigines, or most people in the world.

Caliga

I think you have to at least concede it wasn't just the fault of the Germans.  Lots of other people in allied and occupied countries actively helped them perpetrate the Holocaust.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2014, 09:28:25 PM
Sure.  While we're at it, why not all mammals, or all vertebrates, or all life forms in the universe? :)

So it's either all life in the universe, or just the Germans?  Nothing in between is possible?

QuoteGenocides in the literal meaning of the word (in sharp contrast to the new, faggy, definition) are few and far between.  And the combination of medieval bigotry and industrial efficiency that was the Holocaust is totally unique in human history.

Disagree on the first point (that's the "no true Scotsman" fallacy), and would point out that every genocide has been unique in some fashion, so the second point is a tautology.

QuoteI don't feel Tibetans have any moral responsibility to guard against their tendency to exterminate entire ethnic groups.  Nor do Balians, or Swedes, or Australian aborigines, or most people in the world.

What makes you think only some groups of people have a "tendency to exterminate entire ethnic groups?"  How can we tell these groups or people from those who simply haven't manifested a "tendency to exterminate entire ethnic groups," but will do so in the future?  After all, the Germans prior to, say, 1880 exhibited none of those tendencies, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2014, 10:25:33 PM

QuoteGenocides in the literal meaning of the word (in sharp contrast to the new, faggy, definition) are few and far between.  And the combination of medieval bigotry and industrial efficiency that was the Holocaust is totally unique in human history.

Disagree on the first point (that's the "no true Scotsman" fallacy), and would point out that every genocide has been unique in some fashion, so the second point is a tautology.

I think he means he's sticking to the definition of genocide as the actual physical mass-murder of people rather than just forcing them out of a region or, god help us, "cultural genocide."
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Or the classic version, killing the men and raping the women.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2014, 09:11:33 PM

"It's fun", isn't the most satisfactory answer.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 23, 2014, 11:38:20 AM

I think it is odd to make the responsibility specific to present-day Germans.  The real lesson - one that has been taught before and since - is that any people are capable of such an action, and hence all  peoples need to guard against a repeat.  The significance of the Holocaust and Germany specifically is that present-day Germans may be more likely to have that awareness  because of the efforts made to inculcate it into the definition of post-1945 German political culture and ideology.
Pretty much.  I don't think there are a dozen different Sonderwegs to explain why all these 20th Century nations went totalitarian and nuts in the mid-20th Century.  There's likely not an underlying similarity between Cambodia and Weimar Germany that made them both susceptible to violent national insanity. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2014, 11:06:16 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2014, 09:11:33 PM

"It's fun", isn't the most satisfactory answer.

Answer was "it's an affectation".