Are Today's Germans Morally Responsible for the Holocaust?

Started by Syt, January 23, 2014, 09:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2014, 09:59:28 AM
QuoteFiltered through time, historical guilt has morphed into self-loathing, defiant contempt, and paranoid self-censorship.

This sums things up the status quo in Germany (and Austria to some degree) rather well, IMO.

France too, moreso than Austria for sure. Topics may vary: slave trade only a crime against humanity IF committed by "Whites", truth passed as law by Taubira who even tried to ban a book dealing with ALL slave trades Les traites négrières : essai d'histoire globale ; colonialism, namely the conquest of Algeria without mentioning one deep cause, islamic piracy/slave trade in the Mediterranean; collaboration, the myth of everybody resistant à la de Gaulle needed to rest but the early PCF collaboration is forgotten.

Alain Finkielkraut wrote a book to criticise the whole self-hatred phenomenon L'identité malheureuse
He even went as far as criticising miscegenation IF motivated by self-hatred, pissing off the left, not just the far left, which compared him to Le Pen and/or some infamous comedian known for its anti-semitic/anti-zionist trolling which incidentally made quite a good diversion for the current Interior minister Valls.

edit: read Finkie's book there's none of that miscegenation criticism

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 23, 2014, 10:56:56 AM
Topics may vary: slave trade only a crime against humanity IF committed by "Whites", truth passed as law by Taubira who even tried to ban a book dealing with ALL slave trades Les traites négrières : essai d'histoire globale ; colonialism, namely the conquest of Algeria without mentioning one deep cause, islamic piracy/slave trave in the Mediterranean; collaboration, the myth of everybody resistant à la de Gaulle needed to rest but the early PCF collaboration is forgotten.

I don't know why the French Commies get off so easily.  Damn assholes were striking in protest to the war at the beginning and then they go on act like they were some sort of heroes.  As for the slavery thing that drives me nuts both ways.  First as a way to minimize the crimes of our ancestors (well the Africans were doing it to so...) and the bizarre need to paint white people as subhumans worse than everybody else (slavery in Africa or the Islamic world was not as bad...as if that makes it ok or something).

The French resistance thing is hilarious.  It did exist and was substantial and useful to the Allies...but it seems we have this need to either blow it out of proportion or minimize it completely.

QuoteAlaink Finkielkraut wrote a book to criticise the whole self-hatred phenomenon L'identité malheureuse
He even went as far as criticising miscegenation IF motivated by self-hatred, pissing off the left, not just the far left, which compared him to Le Pen and/or some infamous comedian known for its anti-semitic/anti-zionist trolling which incidentally made quite a good diversion for the current Interior minister Valls.

Um that was idiotic.  Whatever good points he might have made were pretty much ruined by that stupid crap about miscegenation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2014, 11:21:44 AM
Um that was idiotic.  Whatever good points he might have made were pretty much ruined by that stupid crap about miscegenation.

Why?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 11:30:36 AM

Why?

Because it makes him sound like a racist?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Tell me more about " miscegenation  ... motivated by self-hatred". Sounds hott.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2014, 11:31:34 AM

Why?

Because it makes him sound like a racist?

Only if you're the type that reads racism into everything.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2014, 09:41:27 AM
I think Germans have a moral responsibility to be aware that they, as a people, were once capable of this type of action, and to guard against a repeat.

I think it is odd to make the responsibility specific to present-day Germans.  The real lesson - one that has been taught before and since - is that any people are capable of such an action, and hence all  peoples need to guard against a repeat.  The significance of the Holocaust and Germany specifically is that present-day Germans may be more likely to have that awareness  because of the efforts made to inculcate it into the definition of post-1945 German political culture and ideology.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I don't see how you get that lesson from the Holocaust Joan.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 11:36:00 AM

Please explain the non-racist way of complaining about miscegenation please.  I mean really?  I am only the type who reads racism into racism.

But it distracts from whatever good points he was making.  Suddenly one starts to question his motives.  Obviously his opponents did do this to marginalize him so there you go.

The Brain

Modern Germans are indeed morally reprehensible.

If the Holocaust could happen in a goosestepping authority fetish hellhole then it can happen anywhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Why?
Because self-hatred is involved in so many facets of human pair bonding, it seems silly to just single out the racial angle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2014, 11:46:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2014, 11:36:00 AM

Please explain the non-racist way of complaining about miscegenation please.  I mean really?  I am only the type who reads racism into racism.

But it distracts from whatever good points he was making.  Suddenly one starts to question his motives.  Obviously his opponents did do this to marginalize him so there you go.

I also fail to understand what's racist about saying something that boils down to "don't get married for the wrong reasons"; is he supposed to dodge the technically accurate wording given the subject of the discussion? Or is there something inaccurate in what was posted above? Did he complain of miscegenation in any other circumstances than that motivated by self-hatred?

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."