News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pressure Cooker

Started by Sheilbh, January 22, 2014, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

When the cooking time is ended, do you wait for the cooker to lower the pressure by simply taking it off the flame, or do you release the pressure manually (usually there's a kind of lock in the handle that can mantain the pot locked but if switched can release the pressure very quickly)?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

Quote from: Pedrito on January 23, 2014, 05:29:04 AM
When the cooking time is ended, do you wait for the cooker to lower the pressure by simply taking it off the flame, or do you release the pressure manually (usually there's a kind of lock in the handle that can mantain the pot locked but if switched can release the pressure very quickly)?

L.
It depends what you're cooking.  For some stuff you are supposed to let it depressurize on its own, so yeah, all you do is take it off the heat and wait.  For other types of food, you run cold water over the top of the cooker until it depressurizes.  You're never supposed to just open it when it's under pressure.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2014, 05:53:49 AM

L.
It depends what you're cooking.  For some stuff you are supposed to let it depressurize on its own, so yeah, all you do is take it off the heat and wait.  For other types of food, you run cold water over the top of the cooker until it depressurizes.  You're never supposed to just open it when it's under pressure.

I'm not opening it, simply using a release valve to lower the pressure more rapidly.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

Ah, ok.  My pressure cooker doesn't have a valve for that.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2014, 05:53:49 AM

L.

Unless you enjoy that tasty dish known as "ceiling surprise".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

I still have an old pressure cooker that my parents used, but have never used it. I use crock pots (slow cook) sometimes and food and stews come out great in those. After reading this thread I may check out pressure cookers too, but I'd likely buy a new one instead of using the old one, if I decide to use them.

merithyn

I've never used one, and my parents never used them, either. I guess my dad was traumatized as a kid by one exploding, so he wouldn't allow one in the house. I've adopted his fear, which I know is irrational, but I've never learned anything about them because of it.

I'm learning much in this thread, though. Thanks, Sheilbh, for starting it. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

If you find it on the interwebs, look up the Good Eats Pressure Cooker episode. Let Alton Bown explain things.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on January 23, 2014, 10:24:07 AM
I'm learning much in this thread, though. Thanks, Sheilbh, for starting it. :)

Yeah, I had kind of thought these were all just variations on the Crock Pot.  :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

They're awesome for making casseroles from cheap meat cuts you'd normally cook for hours in a fraction of the time.

I lost custody of mine in the divorce, I should probably get another.

If you follow the instructions (bring to the boil then down to a very low simmer so the stop cock only just stays in place) there's zero danger with modern models.

Unless you pack them with fertilser-based explosive, of course.

Jacob

The Brain

Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2014, 11:15:29 AM

ed's colon is a pressure cooker
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I actually used mine tonight to make this Dutch thing called stamppot.  Basically you pressure cook a bunch of peeled and quartered potatoes for a few minutes.  At the same time you cook down greens (I used bok choy tonight) and carrots in a skillet with a little water, and throw a kielbasa on top of that to steam.  In a second skillet (or an electric griddle, which I used), you fry up diced bacon and onions.  When the taters are done you loosely mash them up and then stir the greens, carrots, bacon, and onions in to them, and then serve that with cut up pieces of kielbasa on top.  Delicious. :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on January 23, 2014, 12:04:03 PM
Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2014, 11:15:29 AM

ed's colon is a pressure cooker

I ate Taco Bell today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I could give you a run for your money with my continuous granola irruptions today.