News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pressure Cooker

Started by Sheilbh, January 22, 2014, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2014, 04:53:18 PM
Also, a modern pressure cooker in good repair should be totally safe.  They have pressure relief valve thingies in case there's a pressure buildup.

Yep.

You gotta watch those family hand me downs from the 60's and 70's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I make hoppin john in my pressure cooker fairly often.  Black-eyed peas take zero minutes to cook in one. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

When we were growing up, my mom used to cook with a pressure cooker all the time.

What she would do was throw a bunch of vegitables and a dismembered chicken - bones, skin and all, but taking out the guts - into the pot, then cook the hell out of it.

Then, we would eat the stew. There was always much left over. That, together with the bones (which were tossed back into the pot) went into the fridge.

Next day, she would throw *more* vegitables and, perhaps, more chicken, into the leftovers pot, which was then pressure cooked AGAIN.

This process was repeated until the put was, basically, a chicken graveyard, full of vegitables too mushy to identify, and gristly bones - at which point the bones and mush were finally tossed out and the process re-started.

We never actually died from this diet, it was very quick, and it was a very inexpensive way to feed lots of people ... which is about all that can be recommended about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2014, 04:54:13 PM
Yep.

You gotta watch those family hand me downs from the 60's and 70's.
Also, I think as long as you're paying attention the thing's not gonna blow.  The little pressure regulator on top of the lid should stop whistling if there's a pressure buildup (I think), so in that case all you'd have to do is take it off the heat and run cold water over the cooker till the pressure drops.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2014, 04:57:30 PM
When we were growing up, my mom used to cook with a pressure cooker all the time.

What she would do was throw a bunch of vegitables and a dismembered chicken - bones, skin and all, but taking out the guts - into the pot, then cook the hell out of it.

Then, we would eat the stew. There was always much left over. That, together with the bones (which were tossed back into the pot) went into the fridge.

Next day, she would throw *more* vegitables and, perhaps, more chicken, into the leftovers pot, which was then pressure cooked AGAIN.

This process was repeated until the put was, basically, a chicken graveyard, full of vegitables too mushy to identify, and gristly bones - at which point the bones and mush were finally tossed out and the process re-started.

We never actually died from this diet, it was very quick, and it was a very inexpensive way to feed lots of people ... which is about all that can be recommended about it.
Isn't that called pot au feu or something in French?  Endless stew. :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2014, 04:59:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2014, 04:57:30 PM

Isn't that called pot au feu or something in French?  Endless stew. :cool:

In fact, we (my brothers and I) used to call it "the endless stew". I have no idea if this was the official name for it or not.

It was certainly not a culinary delight.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Lots of chicken souls. Poultrygeists even.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2014, 03:43:32 PM
Anyone any experience using them?

How easy to avoid explosions? :mellow:

Yes, we used ours at least once a week for as long as I can remember.

I'm still here.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2014, 05:03:58 PM

You may have to perform an eggsorcism.

CountDeMoney

I can tell you all about pressure cookers.  I'm living in one right fucking now.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2014, 04:49:47 PM
How can you possibly hate slow cookers?  :huh:
I like slow cooking things myself. But I don't always have time and I'm not always organised enough.

Pressure cooking's a way of speeding things up.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2014, 05:03:58 PM
:lol: I laughed out loud at work
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2014, 04:52:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2014, 04:39:34 PM
I get the impression the pressure cooker has been replaced by the Slo Cooker.

How can one replace the other?  They have totally different purposes (that is one cooks really slowly, and other cooks really fast)?

:face:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)