News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 myths about World War One

Started by Josephus, January 20, 2014, 06:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

I always hate these "let's set up and knock down some straw men" articles.  Must be a slow news day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote9. The Versailles Treaty was extremely harsh

The treaty of Versailles confiscated 10% of Germany's territory but left it the largest, richest nation in central Europe.

It was largely unoccupied and financial reparations were linked to its ability to pay, which mostly went unenforced anyway.

The treaty was notably less harsh than treaties that ended the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War and World War Two. The German victors in the former annexed large chunks of two rich French provinces, part of France for between 2-300 years, and home to most of French iron ore production, as well as presenting France with a massive bill for immediate payment.

This one cracked me up.  France got back the two provinces it lost in the F-P, but when Germany lost them they were "only 10% of their territory" whereas when France lost them they were "two rich French provinces blah blah blah."

Gotta agree with the emerging consensus Jo Jo: this article is crap.

Maybe the strongest contender for actual myth is #9.

Ed Anger

11. WWI is a boring war gaming subject.

Ed sez:

Play Command magazine's 1918: Storm in the West. Then go eat a dick, you worthless pussy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
Gotta agree with the emerging consensus Jo Jo: this article is crap.

That's Ok....I didn't write it.  ;)

In fact I knew that this forum would be extremely critical of it....I should have pointed that out at first. :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2014, 06:52:09 PM

Since it was a much more balanced conflict than WWII this is disappointing, but not that surprising given the attritional nature of trench warfare. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Ed sez:

Play Command magazine's 1918: Storm in the West. Then go eat a dick, you worthless pussy.

Did you ever play the S&T WWI game?  Pretty good game i thought.  Think it may have been my first first subscription game.

Ideologue

WWI really needed more airpower.  Especially since back then they weren't such pussies about chemical weapons.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

Ed sez:

Did you ever play the S&T WWI game?  Pretty good game i thought.  Think it may have been my first first subscription game.

A long, long time ago. I think.

Neil

Ed sez:

Jutland.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on January 20, 2014, 09:58:25 PM

Ed sez:

Jutland.

Oh yeah. Good times.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2014, 06:40:27 PM
I always hate these "let's set up and knock down some straw men" articles.  Must be a slow news day.

I agree with Methuselah.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2014, 06:40:40 PM
Are these big myths? :unsure:

I hear them fairly often.  Well the non-British specific ones anyway.  The 'rich man's war, poor man's fight' is a sentiment I usually hear of the ACW or Vietnam and not WWI or WWII over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."