News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 myths about World War One

Started by Josephus, January 20, 2014, 06:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Britain and Germany make even less sense than France and Germany.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Germany was a continental power with continental interests that directly clashed with the other nations on the European mainland. Unlike Britian it did not need control of the sea lanes and an extensive colonial empire to be prosperous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Britain's interest was in trade, and Germany was her number one competitor.  The Empire wasn't where Britain's wealth was.  Britain's wealth was creatd because they were the gatekeeper and the lubricant for the global economy.  Almost half the world's shipping was on British-flaggeed ships, and the insurance and credit that made it possible for goods to be transported was run out of London.  Moreover, Britain had a vital interest in ensuring that nobody controlled the entire northwestern coastline of Europe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on January 21, 2014, 11:50:24 PM
Moreover, Britain had a vital interest in ensuring that nobody controlled the entire northwestern coastline of Europe.

Why?  I am curious to know more.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on January 22, 2014, 03:03:24 AM
Moreover, Britain had a vital interest in ensuring that nobody controlled the entire northwestern coastline of Europe.

Because if someone controlled all that territory they could effectively lock Britain out of European markets.  It's always been the British way to keep the European powers balanced against each other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Monoriu on January 22, 2014, 03:03:24 AM

Port Capacity for invading Britain.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Drakken

Napoleon famously said that owning Antwerp was like pointing a pistol at the heart of Britain.

Neil

Indeed.  Not only are the Low Countries full of ports that would be of immense use in staging an invasion of Britain, but they also control the mouths of many of the rivers that formed the highway for trade in Western and Central Europe.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 21, 2014, 11:40:54 PM
Unlike Britian it did not need control of the sea lanes and an extensive colonial empire to be prosperous.

But it wanted to, and damned fast.

Gee...a power with immense economic growth that accelerated exponentially within the span of a few short decades, imbued with a sudden extrovert nationalism, shackled by geography with an almost irrational desire to match what it sees as its greatest rival as a blue water navy with global reach in a few short years, creating a naval arms race without learning the discipline and from the mistakes that come with decades of experience?

What could happen?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2014, 07:23:34 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 21, 2014, 11:40:54 PM
Unlike Britian it did not need control of the sea lanes and an extensive colonial empire to be prosperous.

But it wanted to, and damned fast.

Gee...a power with immense economic growth that accelerated exponentially within the span of a few short decades, imbued with a sudden extrovert nationalism, shackled by geography with an almost irrational desire to match what it sees as its greatest rival as a blue water navy with global reach in a few short years, creating a naval arms race without learning the discipline and from the mistakes that come with decades of experience?

What could happen?

Yeah, but Germany wasn't building all of Blighty's computers. :P