News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 myths about World War One

Started by Josephus, January 20, 2014, 06:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2014, 06:47:26 PM
This one cracked me up.  France got back the two provinces it lost in the F-P, but when Germany lost them they were "only 10% of their territory" whereas when France lost them they were "two rich French provinces blah blah blah."

They were two beloved and integral provinces of the beloved Patrie.  While Germany considered them Reichsland and never let them be proper parts of the Empire.  Bastards.

The Versailles treaty thing being harsh is a problem of what we mean by harsh here.  It was certainly moderated compared to what it could have been but the Germans felt screwed over for various reasons.  In any case regardless of its harshness it was a pretty badly designed treaty with no effective method of enforcement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2014, 10:38:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2014, 06:40:40 PM
Are these big myths? :unsure:

I hear them fairly often.  Well the non-British specific ones anyway.  The 'rich man's war, poor man's fight' is a sentiment I usually hear of the ACW or Vietnam and not WWI or WWII over here.
Weren't tons of young upper class lieutenants and captains gunned down during suicidal fronal assualts?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 20, 2014, 11:02:37 PM
Weren't tons of young upper class luietents and captains gunned down during suicidal fronal assualts?

That is what I understood and what the article said.  I have to say I have never heard that one before but I am not over in Blighty listening to what their Commie agitators say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Well this year will be the 100th anniversary of the war.  It's honestly depressing to think about.  Such a beautiful and vibrant world for so little gained.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

"The First World War was neither first, nor the world, nor a war."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

The 100th anniversary of the end of civilzation.  I think I'll celebrate by acquiring and using atomic weapons against China.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Here's a myth about WWI:  That the British operations against German colonies weren't a critical part of the war, and were just an imperial landgrab.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on January 21, 2014, 12:29:22 AM
Here's a myth about WWI:  That the British operations against German colonies weren't a critical part of the war, and were just an imperial landgrab.

The only strategic purpose the colonies served was as coaling stations and wireless transmitters for Germany's cruiser fleet.  Since the cruiser fleet was eliminated in the first few months of the war, the colonies were meaningless.

Verdict: land grab.

Neil

What are you talking about?  German cruisers were taking prizes well into the 1915, and the intensity of their operations was very much inhibited by the lack of supply and bases beyond the North Sea.  Quick and effective British action against German colonies was important in preventing the disruption of the global economy.

Viking

Quote9. The Versailles Treaty was extremely harsh

The treaty of Versailles confiscated 10% of Germany's territory but left it the largest, richest nation in central Europe.

It was largely unoccupied and financial reparations were linked to its ability to pay, which mostly went unenforced anyway.

The treaty was notably less harsh than treaties that ended the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War and World War Two. The German victors in the former annexed large chunks of two rich French provinces, part of France for between 2-300 years, and home to most of French iron ore production, as well as presenting France with a massive bill for immediate payment.

This one cracked me up.  France got back the two provinces it lost in the F-P, but when Germany lost them they were "only 10% of their territory" whereas when France lost them they were "two rich French provinces blah blah blah."

Gotta agree with the emerging consensus Jo Jo: this article is crap.

Maybe the strongest contender for actual myth is #9.

Note, Germany did lose West Prussia and Posen as well as Elsass-Lothringen.

In terms of reparations the french reparations after the Franco-Prussian war were harsher than the versailles reparations.

Both countries did suffer violent post war revolts, france even lost paris to rebel scum for a while. The important diffference is the psychological state of the vanquished. France had seen a Prussian army wipe it's forces quickly and march on it's capital. It had obviously lost and it had not totally mobilized in a manner that happened in WWI so there wasn't the same level of emotional ownership in the war itself by the people (fewer people asking why this peace treaty was worth a father/brother/husband/son dying for).

The Ludendorff Offensive and the subsequent surrender certainly affected the german psyche too. You have to remember, that up til the end of july the german people were under the impression that they were finally about to take paris and end the war until 3 months before the end. Hitler missed the whole thing, he got gassed thinking germany was about to win and when he recouperated germany had surrendered. The only similar situation is the Minbari at the Battle of the Line, and that is fiction.

Versailles was emotionally harsh rather than physically harsh. The Germans were humiliated without feeling themselves subdued. It wasn't just that no foreign troops were on german soil, it was that they had been winning, dreaming of annexing belgium, the ukraine and the baltics, and then, all of a sudden they surrender, must accept blame for the war, have to disarm and stay disarmed and have large chunks of their country given to others. France wished to impose physical terms as harsh as the emotional ones, going as far as to advocating a dismantling of germany.

As for the myths, they are myths in theBlackadder sense.  Gove is a reactionary twit of gigantic proportions, but world war one is very much a war of myths. Most of the myths on Snows list are myths held by those with a passing knowledge of the era. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on January 21, 2014, 12:58:45 AM
In terms of reparations the french reparations after the Franco-Prussian war were harsher than the versailles reparations.

In absolute or relative terms?

viper37

Quote9. The Versailles Treaty was extremely harsh

The treaty of Versailles confiscated 10% of Germany's territory but left it the largest, richest nation in central Europe.

It was largely unoccupied and financial reparations were linked to its ability to pay, which mostly went unenforced anyway.

The treaty was notably less harsh than treaties that ended the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War and World War Two. The German victors in the former annexed large chunks of two rich French provinces, part of France for between 2-300 years, and home to most of French iron ore production, as well as presenting France with a massive bill for immediate payment.

Gotta agree with the emerging consensus Jo Jo: this article is crap.

Maybe the strongest contender for actual myth is #9.
It's in proportion to the total economy.  It severly affected France, and it had been part of France of 2-300 years.  Whereas in 1918, it had been German for less than 50 years.  And for Germany, it was a small part of their GDP, for France it was big, if we trust the article.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Then again, you could also say that Elsass-Lothringen had been a part of Germany for as long as there had been a Germany.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2014, 01:06:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 21, 2014, 12:58:45 AM

In absolute or relative terms?

In relative terms. There is no comparison between an 1870s economy and a 1910s economy. Especially with the artificial inflation due to WWI.

The sums were 5 Billion gold francs vs 50 billion gold marks (exchange rate about 1.1 -  1), The german economy being many times larger than the french economy and 45 years of economic development later mean the french still had to pay a larger proportion. Another difference that must be added is that in 1871 france still had unliquidated capital reserves, something 1918 germany did not have. Actual payments may have reached as high as 20 billion gold marks when hitler cancelled the bonds in 1933.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Kay.

It still doesn't follow that Versailles was "not harsh."

Yes it does!

I meant Versailles was harsh.