News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does it cost you to get into work?

Started by Brazen, January 20, 2014, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2014, 09:01:16 AM
One should admit though, that apart from the crowdedness (not on trains), British public transport seem to be of high quality. At least in and around London, and compared to it`s Hungarian counterpart.
I am especially impressed by the trains. Kind of expensive, most certainly, but well maintained trains run quite often etc. Try the Hungarian railroads with the 50 years old never-washed leather seats, the constant delays, horrible employee attitude, and despite all that, expensive tickets (plus millions of pounds worth of state support above that each year), and you will see how well the Brits have it here.
IMO public transport is generally pretty good in the UK but it is largely bus based. What trains we do have are terrible. The entire system is based around profit making inter-city cross-country lines and fuck local transport.
██████
██████
██████

Pishtaco

In Prague about 18 euros a month, on a three month pass for the whole city. Or sometimes an 80 minute walk (with nice views). The public transport is excellent - coming from Britain, the weirdest thing is that everything is exactly on time.

When I've visited Vienna, I've often travelled for free as the ticket machines on the trams have been broken half the time.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on January 22, 2014, 04:04:26 AM
One should admit though, that apart from the crowdedness (not on trains), British public transport seem to be of high quality. At least in and around London, and compared to it`s Hungarian counterpart.
I am especially impressed by the trains. Kind of expensive, most certainly, but well maintained trains run quite often etc. Try the Hungarian railroads with the 50 years old never-washed leather seats, the constant delays, horrible employee attitude, and despite all that, expensive tickets (plus millions of pounds worth of state support above that each year), and you will see how well the Brits have it here.
IMO public transport is generally pretty good in the UK but it is largely bus based. What trains we do have are terrible. The entire system is based around profit making inter-city cross-country lines and fuck local transport.

It is different in the south London/Surrey area, the train network is particularly dense there. While it can be rather confusing the services are the fastest way of getting around London.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 22, 2014, 07:08:09 AM

It is different in the south London/Surrey area, the train network is particularly dense there. While it can be rather confusing the services are the fastest way of getting around London.

yep, it does seem that way.

Brazen

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 07:12:20 AM

Only if going from one part of London into central London, as per most commutes. Getting from one part of north or south London to another part can only be done with sanity intact by using a bus.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on January 22, 2014, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 07:12:20 AM

Only if going from one part of London into central London, as per most commutes. Getting from one part of north or south London to another part can only be done with sanity intact by using a bus.

I have a thing against buses. Hated them in Hungary, dislike them here as well. Especially as somebody completely new to an area, figuring out where to get off and such while on the bus can be a bit problematic. I have been sticking to trains and the underground whenever possible.

Gups

Quote from: Brazen on January 22, 2014, 08:48:31 AM

I don't know about that. In south London there are lots of connections between diffierent bits on the train and the East London Line. Probably less so with North London, but they have the tube.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2014, 09:05:44 AM

I have a thing against buses. Hated them in Hungary, dislike them here as well. Especially as somebody completely new to an area, figuring out where to get off and such while on the bus can be a bit problematic. I have been sticking to trains and the underground whenever possible.

I bunch of my wife's relatives (from Spain and Denmark) visited us just after Christmas.  Utter madness. They insisted on using the bus all the time. Took them 3 hours to get back on a Sunday night from our place in West Norwood to their hotel in Earls Court because they kept getting lost. Train and tube would have been 40 mins tops.

That said, I get the bus whenever I can and I'm not in a hurry. There's a lot of pleasure to be had from the view on the top. Loads of architectural features on buildings you just can't see from the ground.

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on January 22, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
I don't know about that. In south London there are lots of connections between diffierent bits on the train and the East London Line. Probably less so with North London, but they have the tube.
All the Tube lines north of the river radiate outwards until you hit the circle Line, but the overground covers some lateral journeys. Just not out to zone 5!

Brazen

I use the TFL journey planner to find which bus to get, then most new buses will have an LED display telling you which stop is next. If unsure, when I'm nearing my destination I track my location on my phone GPS!

It was a godsend when visiting dad in hospital straight after work, plus I got to peer into the windows of some of the poshest houses in west/north London!

Syt

I try to avoid buses in Vienna when possible. In the inner districts the buses are usually crowded and uncomfortable, rushing through the narrow streets and throwing you around a lot. It's often much more pleasant to just take subway/tram and maybe walk  few steps.

On the outer districts, where the sub/tram network isn't quite as dense, there are some areas that can only be comfortably reached by bus, but there's usually not too many people on those.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

London buses are generally okay. I think they're a good way to learn the area and, as Gups says, there's often a decent view. I have to cross Waterloo Bridge every day which is great.

I love the overground, but don't use it so much.
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Brazen

What I get for my money. My Tube line home is closed because some clumsy civil engineer filled the signal room with quick-setting cement...

http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.