News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does it cost you to get into work?

Started by Brazen, January 20, 2014, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

One should admit though, that apart from the crowdedness (not on trains), British public transport seem to be of high quality. At least in and around London, and compared to it`s Hungarian counterpart.
I am especially impressed by the trains. Kind of expensive, most certainly, but well maintained trains run quite often etc. Try the Hungarian railroads with the 50 years old never-washed leather seats, the constant delays, horrible employee attitude, and despite all that, expensive tickets (plus millions of pounds worth of state support above that each year), and you will see how well the Brits have it here.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2014, 09:01:16 AM
with the 50 years old never-washed leather seats,

We call that "distressed", and pay a shitload through the nose for it.

Gups

I suspect it's the quantum of public subsidy.

Brazen

I'm still scarred by the experience of travelling from Leningrad (as was) to Moscow on a Communist Russian overnight train as a teenager.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2014, 09:01:16 AM
One should admit though, that apart from the crowdedness (not on trains), British public transport seem to be of high quality. At least in and around London, and compared to it`s Hungarian counterpart.
I am especially impressed by the trains. Kind of expensive, most certainly, but well maintained trains run quite often etc. Try the Hungarian railroads with the 50 years old never-washed leather seats, the constant delays, horrible employee attitude, and despite all that, expensive tickets (plus millions of pounds worth of state support above that each year), and you will see how well the Brits have it here.

When I was on the Budapest subway in 2006, a Russian colleague said, "Hey, we used to have these trains at home!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

It isn't about the cost, but the time.

If I have a 8:30am meeting, I have to be awake by 8:25 at the latest to ensure I can make it downstairs in time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Buying a ticket was fun, though. "What ticket do we need?" "No idea, it's all in Hungarian." "Let's take the most expensive one." "How much is it?" "Under 2 Euros." "Ok."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on January 21, 2014, 11:37:29 AM
:lol:

Seriously though.  Hungarian was total gibberish to me as a poor Indo-European speaker.  Might as well printed the signs in cuneiform.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

We played a game, trying to guess what ad posters tried to sell. Often you had smiling people and some slogan/brand name underneath. With other languages you can at least get a rough idea what they might sell, but not there.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Warspite

I'm on the verge of being able to walk to work, which will be nice. But for the sake of this thread, I have been paying £112 monthly for a London zone 1-2 travelcard.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ideologue

My serious answer is that I live about one mile away, possibly slightly less.  I walk whenever I can find the will to get up before 9 am and drag myself in.

I spend less than $10 a week on gas for work-related purposes, perhaps no more than $5.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2014, 07:45:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 21, 2014, 07:34:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2014, 07:30:23 AM
Why is public transport so friggin' expensive everywhere but here? :unsure:

Anglo-saxons way of handling services to the population?

Yeah, but getting around Frankfurt according to DdB is still almost three times as expensive as getting around Vienna. And Vienna has a rather good public transport network.

Exception viennoise? The Viennese like to copy the French and improved on it this time, like the croissants in reverse if you will.
Frankfurt public transport is not state-owned or at least partially private AFAIK
As for London, I was not impressed unlike Tamas ;) with its small, cramped metros and lack of S-Bahn/RER (regional rapid transit) though they are about to attempt to fix it with Crossrail. People might be more civil though. In Frankfurt, even executives will behave like "French" ghetto scum in the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, tram or buses.
Night buses were comparable if perhaps funnier with people opening beer bottles with their teeth and some remarkable cover of the Ace of Spades.

PS: buses might be the best thing about British public transport, yeah. The Brits are much more disciplined in queueing than Germans in this aspect.