Encounters with Psychopaths and Sociopaths

Started by Queequeg, January 19, 2014, 03:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Listening to The Sociopath Next Door.  Hannibal got me on a bit of a psychology/neurology fix; I just finished Mind on Fire: My Month of Madness, which was the primary inspiration for Jack's anti-MNDA receptor encephalitis, and now moving on to psychopathy and sociopathy.

Less interested in "oh my ex husband/girlfriend/wife/" and more people who did not appear to have functional system of empathy, glib charm, and inability to adhered to social standards. 

I'm pretty sure I have a paternal cousin Jacob would score pretty highly.  He has the weird Idaho aw-shucks charm and some superficial charisma, but he beat the shit out of me every chance he got when we were alone, and picked on me constantly whenever I was struggling with outdoor activities (read: whenever I was involved in outdoor activities.)  He also "offered" to sell my fathers' 500$ camera on Ebay, and then refused to give my father any of the near-500$ he got from the sale.  He went on a mission to Brazil and I just kind of imagine he murdered prostitutes down there.  He has the weird, scary "lizard eyes" that the book associates with real sociopaths.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Asshole does not equal sociopath.  Most of that is recognizable human behavior (bullying, stealing), unless he did go and murder prostitutes.

Sometimes I think I have a stripe of sociopathy in me, due to lacking much sense of the value of human life, but it's more like I'm socially awkward and hateful.  I probably wouldn't take care of three cats if I were a sociopath.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

I'm trying to make that distinction. 

My cousin Jacob is very, very strange.  His eyes look cold, but he's almost always smirking.  He steals; iirc he was also once arrested for stealing a car but somehow got off.  Whatever knowledge I have of him seems to fit the key criteria of sociopathy; above-average intelligence, flat affect, superficial charm, cruelty and deceitfulness, inability to live within societal norms.  If he was a substance-abuser he'd be 6/6, but he's Mormon.  He also really looks like Bundy.  I mean, a lot.  Mormon Bundy. 

TBH I'm particularly interested in those with law enforcement background, BB and CdM for instance. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Most are dull petty criminals and whores.  You've probably met quite a few in your life, it's not extremely uncommon.  Imagine some of the people you went to school with that were bullies, troublemakers and eventually dropped out.  You probably had nothing more then contempt for them.  Those are your typical Sociopaths.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

There are a lot of different types.  A lot of them are bums or addicts or prostitutes. 

Queequeg

TBH I'm kind of skeptical of the category; only 2,000 years ago both my Celtic and Germanic ancestry would busily slaughter captured soldiers for the glory of Tiwaz or Taranis.  That's why I'm interested in anecdotes. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 19, 2014, 03:15:31 PM
There are a lot of different types.  A lot of them are bums or addicts or prostitutes.

Most tend toward crime.  Poor impulse control, aggressive behavior and amoral outlook often lands you in jail.  Honestly most would be pitiable if they weren't so vile.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

I once saw a guy carrying around a nice Chianti. Counts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

TBH I think it's entirely possible to have pity for sociopaths.  Even guys like Dahmer are at least as pathetic as they are horrifying. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 19, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
TBH I'm kind of skeptical of the category; only 2,000 years ago both my Celtic and Germanic ancestry would busily slaughter captured soldiers for the glory of Tiwaz or Taranis.  That's why I'm interested in anecdotes.

I do not think that qualifies as Sociopathy.  Sociopathy is a mental dysfunction.  I don't think it should be confused with people from brutal cultures.

Neil

Yeah, but that was well within social norms.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2014, 03:26:08 PM

I do not think that qualifies as Sociopathy.  Sociopathy is a mental dysfunction.  I don't think it should be confused with people from brutal cultures.
:yes: Even mentally healthy people are capable of incredible brutality if they're conditioned the right way.  In fact, it's the concept of limited warfare and mercy for the losers that's highly artificial and intellectual in nature.

The Brain

Jacob

The Brain