Windows XP Phaseout Puts 13 Million Japanese PCs at Risk

Started by Syt, January 21, 2014, 01:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131494-Windows-XP-Phaseout-Puts-13-Million-Japanese-PCs-at-Risk

QuoteAnd you thought your company was using out of date tech...

Experts warn that more than 13 million personal computers in Japan will be exposed to higher risk of virus and other attacks starting in mid-April, when Microsoft will cease to support the decade-old operating system. Of that 13 million, 7.23 million Windows XP-based PCs are still in use by Japanese businesses, making up around 20% of all PCs in use in the country.

Migration to Windows 7, or the recently released 8.1 is very slow, especially at small and midsize firms, because managers are either unaware of the problem or want to avoid the cost of updating.

But it's the town, city and prefecture governments that are the biggest offenders according to a survey by the Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry last October. Around 2 million computers are in use at these offices, 722,166 (or 36%) of which are running XP. Governments blame the software used to handle of residential and taxation data, which is incompatible with newer operating systems.

As for personal use, an estimated 5.97 million PCs (14% of all PCs in Japan) owned by individuals are running Windows XP.

Both PC manufactures and Microsoft have made many attempts to persuade Japanese PC users to upgrade, such as allowing deferred payment on new PCs. Japan, which many see as a futuristic nation on the cutting edge of technology, ironically clings to office technology that the western world has long-since abandoned, such as the fax machine and Internet Explorer.

The end of Windows XP support will also reportedly leave nearly all of Japan's ATMs vulnerable. Japanese banks have lost ¥760 million to Internet hackers as of Oct. 15, 2013
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Zanza

QuoteThe end of Windows XP support will also reportedly leave nearly all of Japan's ATMs vulnerable.
XP Embedded is a different product than normal XP and will be supported until 2016.

Grey Fox

It's time to upgrade. XP sucks at handling multithreading.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Iormlund

Meh. In industrial applications it's normal to have outdated systems. I've worked with shit from the 80s and we've installed dozens of XP workstations that will presumably keep working for decades. That's the way it goes and there's no point upgrading as long as you have spares.

Monoriu

Yeah.  There really is nothing wrong with XP for normal office purposes like email, internet, Word and Excel.  It is sufficient. 

Josquius

The western world has abandoned internet explorer? Would be nice if it were so but... :yeahright:
And the fax machines in Japan thing is overstated. Its not like they're using 20 year old machines, the machines are generally modern and high-tech and also function as printers and scanners. Fax is still heavily used in Japan due to BS bureaucracy and the requirement to stamp lots of papers and have paper copies of documents everywhere. Still something where Japan is backwards but not in technology.
Japan as a country which is behind the times on IT is a bit of an outdated view. Until 10 years ago from what I hear it was very true, but they've caught up a lot.

QuoteThe end of Windows XP support will also reportedly leave nearly all of Japan's ATMs vulnerable.
ATMs use XP?
I thought the norm was that weird old IBM os.

Quote from: Iormlund on January 21, 2014, 06:18:34 PM
Meh. In industrial applications it's normal to have outdated systems. I've worked with shit from the 80s and we've installed dozens of XP workstations that will presumably keep working for decades. That's the way it goes and there's no point upgrading as long as you have spares.
Yeah.
In my new company most computers are windows 7 but some computers hooked up to specific industrial machinery use xp.
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

Quote from: Monoriu on January 21, 2014, 06:59:27 PM
Yeah.  There really is nothing wrong with XP for normal office purposes like email, internet, Word and Excel.  It is sufficient.

Until MS stops providing security updates, which leaves those machines vulnerable to new security threats. Voila!
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

I really wonder how much of the current quarter's success had to do with this.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

My work computer, and a lot of the computers from what I've seen here at school use XP.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point