Possible California ballot iniative to raise the minimum wage to $10, then $12

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 01:45:42 AM
Berk: if the notion is to raise the minwage to $10 (or $12) an hour, then the statistics that matter are "jobs that pay lower than $10 (or $12) an hour."  If you don't believe that is the case, I believe the onus is on you to explain why that is.

Anyway, I think it'd be a positive development if the new floor from which people may negotiate upward and only upward were in fact a floor and not a parent's basement.  Certainly you would see less negotiation.  But that is A-OK.

Apparently people were not very good negotiators back in 1979.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2014, 04:18:09 AM
What's the legal basis for a federal minimum wage?

Seriously?  The commerce clause of the constitution.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 04:03:32 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 01:45:42 AM
Berk: if the notion is to raise the minwage to $10 (or $12) an hour, then the statistics that matter are "jobs that pay lower than $10 (or $12) an hour."  If you don't believe that is the case, I believe the onus is on you to explain why that is.

Anyway, I think it'd be a positive development if the new floor from which people may negotiate upward and only upward were in fact a floor and not a parent's basement.  Certainly you would see less negotiation.  But that is A-OK.

Apparently people were not very good negotiators back in 1979.

Elaborate?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 05:22:59 AM
Elaborate?

Well, the subtext of your previous posts is the Big Labor view of wages: wages are a function of how nice employers are, and since they're generally not very nice, employees have to force wage increases from them, either through the power of collective bargaining(tm) or through legislative means.

The other subtext in relation to Throbby's factoid about the shrinking percentage of the workforce earning the minimum wage is that any data that undercuts your paradigm must be impeached.  If the % of workers at min wage has been dramatically shrinking over time, maybe employers are not such dickheads after all.

The fact you failed to consider when you panicked over that factoid is that the min wage in real terms has been shrinking over time frame, so it makes sense that a smaller % of the workforce is being paid that amount.  So it's not actually all that terrible a data point for you.

That being said, it also demonstrates that wages are not a function of employer shittiness and labor power.  Else, we should expect more or less the same % of workers earning min wage now as did back in 1979, no?  So the natural conclusion is that wages are in fact determined by the interplay of supply and demand, demand being a function of marginal labor product.

The Brain

dps

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2014, 09:41:35 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2014, 06:03:16 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 05:22:36 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2014, 04:18:09 AM
What's the legal basis for a federal minimum wage?

Seriously?  The commerce clause of the constitution.

Interstate commerce?

Uhm, yeah?  What exactly are you asking?

It's not obvious how a general wage floor is a matter of interstate commerce.

crazy canuck

It seems the numbers in Canada are similar to the numbers Berkut found for the US.  The report is from 2010 from data pulled from 2009.  The report concludes that the majority of people paid minimum wage are under 24 and if you look at chart 3 most are under 19. Most of the people under 24, and especially under 19, who are paid a minimum wage are going to school.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/topics-sujets/minimumwage-salaireminimum/minimumwage-salaireminimum-2009-eng.htm

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2014, 10:08:38 AM

The federal government has the power to regulate interstate commerce and international commerce.  This in effect allows the federal government to regulate all commerce in the US and pretty much all aspects of commerce.  "Commerce" is equated with economic activity which wages fall under.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2014, 10:22:08 AM
It seems the numbers in Canada are similar to the numbers Berkut found for the US.  The report is from 2010 from data pulled from 2009.  The report concludes that the majority of people paid minimum wage are under 24 and if you look at chart 3 most are under 19. Most of the people under 24, and especially under 19, who are paid a minimum wage are going to school.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/topics-sujets/minimumwage-salaireminimum/minimumwage-salaireminimum-2009-eng.htm

Minimum wage data is totally not relevant to discussions about minimum wage jobs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 05:47:40 AM
The other subtext in relation to Throbby's factoid about the shrinking percentage of the workforce earning the minimum wage is that any data that undercuts your paradigm must be impeached.  If the % of workers at min wage has been dramatically shrinking over time, maybe employers are not such dickheads after all.
Why is it an either or?  Surely the employers can be dickheads while a shrinking percentage of the workforce earns the minimum wage?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2014, 01:25:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2014, 10:08:38 AM

The federal government has the power to regulate interstate commerce and international commerce.  This in effect allows the federal government to regulate all commerce in the US and pretty much all aspects of commerce.  "Commerce" is equated with economic activity which wages fall under.

I don't have a problem with "commerce". What I find a bit odd here is "interstate commerce".

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 05:47:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 19, 2014, 05:22:59 AM
Elaborate?

Well, the subtext of your previous posts is the Big Labor view of wages: wages are a function of how nice employers are, and since they're generally not very nice, employees have to force wage increases from them, either through the power of collective bargaining(tm) or through legislative means.

The fact you failed to consider when you panicked over that factoid is that the min wage in real terms has been shrinking over time frame, so it makes sense that a smaller % of the workforce is being paid that amount.  So it's not actually all that terrible a data point for you.

That being said, it also demonstrates that wages are not a function of employer shittiness and labor power.  Else, we should expect more or less the same % of workers earning min wage now as did back in 1979, no?  So the natural conclusion is that wages are in fact determined by the interplay of supply and demand, demand being a function of marginal labor product.

"Supply and demand" is exactly coextensive with "employer shittiness and labor power."  Supply = employer shittiness and demand = labor power.

I was simply pointing out that there are reasons beyond pure numbers--I refuse to say non-economic reasons, as everything is economic--that lift even the lowest-wage positions slightly off the floor set by the wage.

I also agree that the wage, being as low as it is, has been outpaced by pure numbers.

I simply had two points: 1)there are psychological-economic reasons why people tend not to be paid exactly at any given wage floor; and
2)I don't see how anyone can say "no one earns the minwage" and consider that a very important fact when the discussion by its definition encompasses low wage jobs that pay 40% above the current minwage, which are hugely--hugely--more common than those rare, exactly-$7.25/hr gigs.
Kinemalogue