Possible California ballot iniative to raise the minimum wage to $10, then $12

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I like statistics that use "the federal minimum wage or less," rather than the extremely common jobs that pay a buck or so above minimum wage, a phenomenon which exists in some small part, if not almost entirely, because the minwage sets an absolute minimum from which employees and employers negotiate upward.  We should also completely discount the economic effect of psychology regarding that wage floor--i.e., even the shittiest employer usually doesn't want to make their employee feel like a complete worthless subhuman, and the prospective employee can be assumed to have a measure of pride, so wages directly pegged to the minimum are comparatively rare.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2014, 09:24:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM
who will directly benifit (or think they will) then will be directly adversely impacted.

Like the English language in your posts?  You fucking fuck.
I wrote then instead of than! The HORROR... :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 11:50:47 PM
Do you think the minimum wage, even as a starter wage, is a living wage?

I know plenty of folks who are making minimum wage and are alive.  If you're talking about enough money to support a spouse and two children, why don't we call it what it is?

Ideologue

Quote from: YiI know plenty of folks who are making minimum wage and are alive.

Do they either subsist on handouts or they live like subhumans?  DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION ANSWER NOW.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

If you're going to define subhuman as the quality of life enjoyed by a person making minimum wage, then it's a circular argument.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2014, 01:27:17 AM
I like statistics that use "the federal minimum wage or less," rather than the extremely common jobs that pay a buck or so above minimum wage, a phenomenon which exists in some small part, if not almost entirely, because the minwage sets an absolute minimum from which employees and employers negotiate upward.  We should also completely discount the economic effect of psychology regarding that wage floor--i.e., even the shittiest employer usually doesn't want to make their employee feel like a complete worthless subhuman, and the prospective employee can be assumed to have a measure of pride, so wages directly pegged to the minimum are comparatively rare.

Yep. "Only x%" actually earn minimum wage is no argument. Being seen to only pay the minimum you are legally required to pay is bad PR, thus raise the minimum and a lot of low earners will see their wages go up eventualy.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2014, 01:53:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2014, 09:24:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM
who will directly benifit (or think they will) then will be directly adversely impacted.

Like the English language in your posts?  You fucking fuck.
I wrote then instead of than! The HORROR... :o

Is Korean children learning?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on January 18, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
Are they: benefiting from Tim's tutelage? :hmm:
Of the twenty contestants in the national contest in Busan, two were my students.  :sleep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2014, 08:26:46 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 18, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
Are they: benefiting from Tim's tutelage? :hmm:
Of the twenty contestants in the national contest in Busan, two were my students.  :sleep:

Pride goeth before a fall.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

When you talk about a Federal Minimum Wage, is that a minimum wage that all employers must pay in the US or is it just employers within operating within Federal jurisdiction?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 09:37:40 AM
When you talk about a Federal Minimum Wage, is that a minimum wage that all employers must pay in the US or is it just employers within operating within Federal jurisdiction?

All US employees that are paid on an hourly basis.

State minimum wage laws are superseded if federal minimum wage is higher, as it was in NJ until 17 days ago (NJ was 7.15, as opposed to the federal 7.25).

Also, our minimum wage is now tied to CPI-W.  Whenever the CPI-W increases over a year, so does our minimum wage.
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2014, 04:23:42 AM
If you're going to define subhuman as the quality of life enjoyed by a person making minimum wage, then it's a circular argument.

Maybe subhuman is too loaded.  Are their basic needs (e.g., shelter) critically dependent upon others (e.g., roommates)?  Then that's not a living wage.
Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 18, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 09:37:40 AM

All US employees that are paid on an hourly basis.

Not quite true.  Some small businesses are exempt. 

sbr

Some states used* to allow employers to pay less than minimum wage if they earn tips, as long as the tips get them to the minimum wage level.  I made $2.09/hour in a restaurant in the early '90s, which was about half of minimum wage at the time.

*They still might, not sure.