Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2014, 10:17:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2014, 10:59:02 AM
I never look at first party internet offer.

My ISP offers 20mb/unlimited for 60$ 30mb/unlimited for 72$. It also offers same speed with 300gb data cap for ~10$ less.

http://www.zid.com/access/cable.cfm

There wasn't a ton of choice for where I live, and Videotron had the best deal to offer me when I renewed, so I took their offer.  Combined with the office phone, it wasn't so bad.  I pay the exact same amount as I paid before for phone service, but I got 20mbps internet with it, unlimited download&upload.

Videotron has pretty good deals when you combine services.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: sbr on January 17, 2014, 02:02:12 PM
While I would agree that "high speed" internet is a requirement for almost everyone now days, what is "good enough" for the majority of people?  What percentage of the population need or would notice the difference between 10 Mb/s and 25 Mb/s, or even higher?  I am guessing the number would be low enough that it wouldn't be worth the government getting involved and building out their own nationalized fiber network (sorry Ide :( )

That puts the people that want or need it in a sucky spot, but I assume they can get it if they really want it.   That is me just talking out my ass for the most prt though.
Simple. 10mbps = Youtube lag on 1080p.  20mbps = no Youtube lag.

And now that they plan to introduce 4k streaming within the year... Well, we will all require an upgrade soon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Unless you run an auditorium-sized screen, 4k is a novelty.

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2014, 03:24:23 PM
Maybe for now.  The fact that a 23" monitor has the same resolution as a 60" TV means that there are some resolution gains to be made for TVs, not to mention retina display monitors.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2014, 03:42:15 PM
Maybe for now.  The fact that a 23" monitor has the same resolution as a 60" TV means that there are some resolution gains to be made for TVs, not to mention retina display monitors.

Not really, the eye just can't perceive such minute details in such screen sizes unless you're sticking your nose to the screen, which is not how you will watch TV.

This guy makes a very good write-up on the issue: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on January 20, 2014, 04:42:52 PM
Sad part is that I pay extra for higher speed...

Apparently because my upload speed is worse than yours, my internet is worse. /perhaps that's what your extra cost goes to. :D

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2014, 05:41:50 PM
What does the ping number tell you?

Doesn't it have to do with how long it takes to send (a packet?) and get an echo (or response back)? So you want that to be lower.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2014, 05:55:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2014, 05:41:50 PM
What does the ping number tell you?

Doesn't it have to do with how long it takes to send (a packet?) and get an echo (or response back)? So you want that to be lower.

Yep.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2014, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2014, 03:42:15 PM

Not really, the eye just can't perceive such minute details in such screen sizes unless you're sticking your nose to the screen, which is not how you will watch TV.

This guy makes a very good write-up on the issue: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

The same guy did a write-up about all things that could improved in screened media besides pure resolution, which I thought was very spot-on.  His big ones were color (RGB is arguably insufficient) and motion blur (which is a huge, huge, huge problem, and something I notice even in the best-shot pictures, but if I am not mistaking it solving it would require new cinematographic methods as well as new displays).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

My wife offered to get me one of those 84 inch Toshiba 4K TEEVEES. fucker is way overpriced.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2014, 07:58:36 PM
My wife offered to get me one of those 84 inch Toshiba 4K TEEVEES. fucker is way overpriced.

What the fuck does she need to watch on such a thing?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on January 20, 2014, 07:59:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2014, 07:58:36 PM

What the fuck does she need to watch on such a thing?

GET ME ONE.

Try reading harder.