Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2014, 01:22:31 PM

And what's that about data limits?  :huh:

North American ISPs have plans/tiers with Data usage limits and overcharge.

Around here, the most popular plan is 50$/month with 60gb of data. When you go over the ISP charges you. It's about 4.50$ per gb of usage over the cap.
Quebec law caps over chage like that at 50$/month.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on January 17, 2014, 09:15:56 AM
"Average measured internet speed" doesn't mean average?
No, I am shamed.  I transposed the 'top' into the sentence below it in my head.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on January 17, 2014, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2014, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 17, 2014, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2014, 11:54:42 AM
That's what "Wall Street" market capitalism means. It's the pursuit of cheap & easy profits over profits coming from the improvement of infrastructures for the common good losses.

Marked up for accuracy.
The problem is that market capitalism has never been fair to private actors investing in capital-intensive infrastructure.  There are a host of positive externalities that they can't cash in to recoup their investment.

There is a strong case that internet access should be a public service. When you think about what the government spends on education, public health, job search assistance, etc., the achievement / dollar by making sure everyone has good internet is probably high in comparison.

While I would agree that "high speed" internet is a requirement for almost everyone now days, what is "good enough" for the majority of people?  What percentage of the population need or would notice the difference between 10 Mb/s and 25 Mb/s, or even higher?  I am guessing the number would be low enough that it wouldn't be worth the government getting involved and building out their own nationalized fiber network (sorry Ide :()

That puts the people that want or need it in a sucky spot, but I assume they can get it if they really want it.   That is me just talking out my ass for the most prt though.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2014, 01:36:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2014, 01:22:31 PM

And what's that about data limits?  :huh:

Third-World Canadian ISPs have plans/tiers with Data usage limits and overcharge.

ftfy
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

Around here, the most popular plan is 50$/month with 60gb of data. When you go over the ISP charges you. It's about 4.50$ per gb of usage over the cap.

I know. :P Over here it's mostly for mobile internet, though, and even they will usually only throttle you down (e.g. T-Mobile moves you from 100M to 256k if you exceed 100GB/month). I think (may be mistaken) that companies have to at least warn you if you are near the limit, though it may also be that they're not allowed to overcharge unless you ok it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2014, 01:36:54 PM

I was guessing that was what happened, but shamed you none the less!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: katmai on January 17, 2014, 02:24:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2014, 01:36:54 PM
I was guessing that was what happened, but shamed you none the less!
Naturally.  We're all terrible people here, and we reap as we sow.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Looks like I have the best one so far. A few have slightly higher download speeds, but not comparable upload speeds.

EDIT: With the exception of Max's, don't know how I missed his.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2014, 10:59:02 AM
I never look at first party internet offer.

My ISP offers 20mb/unlimited for 60$ 30mb/unlimited for 72$. It also offers same speed with 300gb data cap for ~10$ less.

http://www.zid.com/access/cable.cfm

There wasn't a ton of choice for where I live, and Videotron had the best deal to offer me when I renewed, so I took their offer.  Combined with the office phone, it wasn't so bad.  I pay the exact same amount as I paid before for phone service, but I got 20mbps internet with it, unlimited download&upload.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2014, 02:12:55 PM

I know. :P Over here it's mostly for mobile internet, though, and even they will usually only throttle you down (e.g. T-Mobile moves you from 100M to 256k if you exceed 100GB/month). I think (may be mistaken) that companies have to at least warn you if you are near the limit, though it may also be that they're not allowed to overcharge unless you ok it.

eh  ;) I wasn't sure how to take it so I chose seriously.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.