Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 17, 2014, 10:57:15 AM
QuoteDecades Of Failed Promises From Verizon: It Promises Fiber To Get Tax Breaks... Then Never Delivers

. . . Verizon is blaming landlords, but as the Verge points out, when someone made a big stink on the radio recently about the lack of FiOS in his apartment, Verizon contacted him the very next day, and had service at his apartment within 3 weeks. The simple fact is that Verizon has been trying its damnest to get out of the wired business altogether. Back when Ivan Seidenberg was in charge, he made a giant bet on fiber, which is why Verizon became such a national leader in broadband with FiOS -- a service that people really seem to love. However, Wall Street has always hated it, because it's capital intensive, and Wall St. recognizes that without any real competition in the broadband space, Verizon can avoid investing in such infrastructure upgrades, and just swim in larger profits while America's broadband infrastructure suffers and falls further and further behind other countries. Once Seidenberg left, the beancounters quickly took over and looked for ways to stop all that investment. Why invest in the future if there are no competitors to push you to do so? .

Not sure how accurate it is, but apparently Verizon lobbied for several billion dollars in tax breaks to provide high speed internet to Pennsylvania and New York but failed to deliver even close to their initial claims.

There is some kernels of truth here but it is definitely an anti-Verizon spin.
In NYC lots of people live in apartment buildings and yes it is the case that either the co-op/condo or the landlord has to make arrangements to bring the the service into the building.  The fiber doesn't just magically leap into private property.

AS for the broader economic point -- ", Wall Street has always hated it, because it's capital intensive, and Wall St. recognizes that without any real competition in the broadband space, Verizon can avoid investing in such infrastructure upgrades, and just swim in larger profits while America's broadband infrastructure suffers "  -- invoking the "Wall Street" bogeyman is always good for selling copy but the heat-to-light ratio of this analysis is on the high side. Laying fiber IS capital intensive -- brutally so.  There is "real competition" because everywhere Verizon offers FIOS there is a least one other major player.  But the problem for FIOS as a business is not so much vigorous competition but that there just isn't enough demand for its high-end product (ultra fast connections) to recoup all those expenses at a profit.  If enough Americans will willing to pay for 100 -1000 mbit speeds at a price reflecting the cost of the infrastructure and maintenance, then Verizon would keep building.  But most Americans are like Ed and others here and content with much less -- and quite rationally so beause even bandwidth intensive uses like HD video streaming don't require anywhere near that bandwidth.

What this means for Verizon's business can be seen very starkly in their last published quarterly results.
Here are the operating margins for their two key business segments;
Wireless:  33.8%
Wireline:  1.6%

It might be objected that looking at operating margin treats FIOS unfairly because of the big non-cash depreciation charges.  But the EBITDA margins are just are slanted towards wireless - the wireless EBITDA margins are over 50% (!) compared to a little over 20% for wireline.

One doesn't need to conjure dark conspiracy theories about big bad "Wall Street" here.  It's pretty obvious why Verizon is pursuing a strategy of directing investment to wireless at the expense of the wireline business.  They would have to be foolish not to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

That's what "Wall Street" means. It's the pursuit of cheap & easy profits over profits coming from the improvement of infrastructures for the common good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 17, 2014, 11:54:42 AM
That's what "Wall Street" market capitalism means. It's the pursuit of cheap & easy profits over profits coming from the improvement of infrastructures for the common good losses.

Marked up for accuracy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

derspiess

Here at work I get a whopping .47Mbps down.  They're throttling the hell out of us.  And we call ourselves a technology company :rolleyes:

I'd be better off downloading large files on my phone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 17, 2014, 11:58:01 AM
That's what "Wall Street" market capitalism means. It's the pursuit of cheap & easy profits over profits coming from the improvement of infrastructures for the common good losses.

Marked up for accuracy.

Yes, wall street.

It's such a deplorable state of things. :weep:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Marked up for accuracy.
The problem is that market capitalism has never been fair to private actors investing in capital-intensive infrastructure.  There are a host of positive externalities that they can't cash in to recoup their investment.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Marked up for accuracy.
The problem is that market capitalism has never been fair to private actors investing in capital-intensive infrastructure.  There are a host of positive externalities that they can't cash in to recoup their investment.

There is a strong case that internet access should be a public service. When you think about what the government spends on education, public health, job search assistance, etc., the achievement / dollar by making sure everyone has good internet is probably high in comparison.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

I don't think that is the issue here.
Let's say there is $100 billion available for use in the tri-state area - is the highest and best use for those funds really to lay high speed fiber optic cable?  What about transport infrastructure or education or any one of a hundred other priorities?
The only positive externality I can see that could result from this is that if there are commercial enterprises in the city paying premium for custom high speed connections they could save some IT $$  if such connections become ubiquitous and relatively low cost.  It's not the most compelling case.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I could have 1000 but since 100 comes free with the apartment I don't bother.

I also have a second independent broadband connection. For safety.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.