Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

The inconvenient douche may have invented the internet, but he didn't perfect it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
Plus a bunch of dial-ups.

wait.  what?  What is this thing?  Is it 1995 all over again?  I thought these were long dead...
So did I.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Here apparently is the coverage map of New York with fiber optics as of last year.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

It looks like delicate salmon roe sprinkled on a bed of kelp.

The Brain

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has crappy internet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
I live in Manhattan and can pick between Time Warner, Time Warner and Time Warner. I could I suppose "choose" Verizon or Comcast if I moved apartments.

I have been told that America has crappy internet infrastructure compared to Sweden because it's so big and the population so spread out. So a place like Manhattan must have better infrastructure than Sweden.

I'm not really sure what the situation is now, but at one time most major cities generally had poor communications infrastrucure relative to medium sized places.  For example, many larger cities were among the last places to get cable TV, because the initial appeal of cable was simply to get broadcast channels you could only pick up poorly or not at all with an antenna, and in major cities you had plenty of local broadcast channels you could get good reception on without cable, so there was really no market for cable in big cities.  OTOH, if you lived waaaay out in the boonies, you had no cable access because it simply wasn't cost-effective for anyone to run cable to you.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 04:29:37 PM
Here apparently is the coverage map of New York with fiber optics as of last year.

Looks like you are good.  What about DG across the river?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 03:47:05 PM
Is it crippling for everyone not to have 100mbps connections?  Cable is good enough for most.  It's good enough for me at the moment.

?
I have cable and it is a 101 Mbps connection.

FIOS offers 500 in Manhattan.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2014, 05:07:38 PM

I'm in the patchy gray spot. Also it is a New York map. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2014, 05:07:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 04:29:37 PM

Got FiOS some time ago, but before it became available, Comcast was the only serious broadband option available to me, which is a fate I wish on no one.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 05:20:40 PM
Got FiOS some time ago, but before it became available, Comcast was the only serious broadband option available to me, which is a fate I wish on no one.

That's actually one of the minor annoyance reasons that I want to leave NJ.

Fiber optic coverage is really poor in NJ, and there has been push to improve it, but it's still pretty terrible: http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/13/10/03/new-jersey-towns-tell-verizon-they-want-their-fios/

QuoteAccording to the original franchise order, Verizon only had to deploy the service in 70 of the most densely populated communities in New Jersey, targets both the BPU and Division of Rate Counsel agree the telecommunications company has either met or is expected to achieve, according to previously set timelines.

Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

FIOS is cutting back on investment because the demand just isn't there for super high speed broadband and the expense of the infrastructure is very high.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon