Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:25:41 PM
I don't follow.

Are you being serious?
You said it got great infrastructure, but it doesn't have competition because it doesn't have great infrastructure.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:29:10 PM
Yes.

Everyone in NY, or any metropolitan area for that matter, is bound to have a cable hookup, and therefore access to broadband.  However cable providers are regulated, regional monopolies, and are not required to provide access to their cable lines for other ISPs.

A cable hookup is "good infrastructure."  But it does not allow competition.  To get competition you have to have fiber optic running to your house.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:38:12 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:29:10 PM
Yes.

Everyone in NY, or any metropolitan area for that matter, is bound to have a cable hookup, and therefore access to broadband.  However cable providers are regulated, regional monopolies, and are not required to provide access to their cable lines for other ISPs.

A cable hookup is "good infrastructure."  But it does not allow competition.  To get competition you have to have fiber optic running to your house.

OK. Freedom is slavery and all that jazz. Gotcha.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:38:12 PM

Ah, good infrastructure if you are comparing yourself to something with really really bad infrastructure.

derspiess

Is it crippling for everyone not to have 100mbps connections?  Cable is good enough for most.  It's good enough for me at the moment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 03:47:05 PM
Is it crippling for everyone not to have 100mbps connections?  Cable is good enough for most.  It's good enough for me at the moment.

You go girl. Own your cripplitude.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:51:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
OK. Freedom is slavery and all that jazz. Gotcha.

I don't understand your irony.

It seems to me that Manhattan has crappy internet infrastructure compared to Sweden. And yet it has an enormous concentration of people in a small area.

Admiral Yi

OK.  If you want to call cable crappy infrastructure I guess that's your prerogative.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:56:00 PM
OK.  If you want to call cable crappy infrastructure I guess that's your prerogative.

:huh: Are you tired and emotional? It's stone age compared to the country I live in.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:58:31 PM
:huh: Are you tired and emotional? It's stone age compared to the country I live in.

No.

That's great.

MadBurgerMaker

:)  Uverse and TWC are both in my neighborhood.  Granted, that's not really much of a choice since TWC is fucking horrible, but hey.

MadBurgerMaker

Speaking of Uverse and competition, I noticed they've set up some super fast shit in Austin only in order to compete with Google Fiber.  Valmy is going to be able to refresh Languish lightning quick.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2014, 03:47:05 PM

The claim was that there was "great" infrastructure.  Not merely good enough.  Cable is the basic model these days.  To have "great" infrastructure one would hope that it goes beyond the merely adequate.