Federal appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Currently I have 2 completely different ISPs for my 2 completely different ground-based connections. I could get more connections, should I want to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
US ground-based ISPs are regional monopolies?
America doesn't understand the concept of free markets except when it comes to employee rights and selling guns.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 16, 2014, 11:42:24 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
US ground-based ISPs are regional monopolies?
America doesn't understand the concept of free markets except when it comes to employee rights and selling guns.  :P
Germany doesn't understand the concept of how foolish it is to answer questions to which its response is wrong.  :P

US ground-based ISPs are not regional monopolies.  There are markets where there is only one good choice, but that isn't because of a monopoly so much as a lack of economies of scale that attract competition.  I live in a town of 600 and can choose between AT&T, Comcast, Time-Warner, Charter, and Cox Cable.  Plus a bunch of dial-ups.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I live in Manhattan and can pick between Time Warner, Time Warner and Time Warner. I could I suppose "choose" Verizon or Comcast if I moved apartments.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
Germany doesn't understand the concept of how foolish it is to answer questions to which its response is wrong.  :P

US ground-based ISPs are not regional monopolies.  There are markets where there is only one good choice, but that isn't because of a monopoly so much as a lack of economies of scale that attract competition.  I live in a town of 600 and can choose between AT&T, Comcast, Time-Warner, Charter, and Cox Cable.  Plus a bunch of dial-ups.

Not a 100% convincing argument.  Plenty of ISPs advertise in areas where they don't actually offer service.  In my town, Comcast Xfininity and Verizon FIOS are both advertised as broadband options, but Verizon doesn't actually service my town.  I wouldn't even count last-gasp efforts at advertising dial-up as viable options.  Forums are pretty much the last significant sites remaining that can function on dial-up bandwidth; even some subreddits would get bogged down due to the current web's reliance on Flash or Silverlight for interactive elements.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
I live in Manhattan and can pick between Time Warner, Time Warner and Time Warner.

You should move to a town of 600 where they have much more choice.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
I live in Manhattan and can pick between Time Warner, Time Warner and Time Warner. I could I suppose "choose" Verizon or Comcast if I moved apartments.

I have been told that America has crappy internet infrastructure compared to Sweden because it's so big and the population so spread out. So a place like Manhattan must have better infrastructure than Sweden.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2014, 03:05:32 PM
I have been told that America has crappy internet infrastructure compared to Sweden because it's so big and the population so spread out. So a place like Manhattan must have better infrastructure than Sweden.

It's got great infrastructure.  What it doesn't have is competition, because (apparently) the city never went through the hassle of laying underground fiber optic.

Syt

In Vienna landbound broadband is divided between two competitors: UPC for offering digital TV and broadband via cable TV. And A1 (former Telekom Austria) offering digital TV and broadband via phone line.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
Plus a bunch of dial-ups.

wait.  what?  What is this thing?  Is it 1995 all over again?  I thought these were long dead...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:18:55 PM

It's got great infrastructure.  What it doesn't have is competition, because (apparently) the city never went through the hassle of laying underground fiber optic.

I don't follow.

garbon

So I went trying to look up services available at all the places I've lived (well abbreviated list but Southern California, Central Mass, SF and NYC). For each, I was directed to one provider.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 03:18:55 PM

Its got great infrastructure, just not fiber optic cables?  :huh:

And why is it the City's responsibility to lay fibre optic cables?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 03:26:41 PM
So I went trying to look up services available at all the places I've lived (well abbreviated list but Southern California, Central Mass, SF and NYC). For each, I was directed to one provider.

Like I said, you need to move out to the sticks where you will have much better service.  And you can play with Grumbler. :)