News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2014

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 09, 2014, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Would have been great see Gordon go for home.
As for KCR as a whole, yeah they lost but that team has a lot to be proud of.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2014, 10:37:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2014, 10:34:46 PM
So here's hoping that this run means the Royals have turned a page, and they're contenders over the next few years. :)

This is what I am trying to console myself with the Orioles right now :P

Hopefully we are both right.  But the Yankees and Sox will not be down long

While it is no doubt going to always be a tough division, my biggest concern if I were an Orioles fan would be whether or not my 3rd baseman is going to keep hurting himself every year.  Well, actually, I guess my biggest worry would be the owner doing something stupid.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2014, 09:56:56 AM

It would be interesting to see the angle of the 3rd base coach watching the left fielder boot it.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2014, 10:14:38 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2014, 09:56:56 AM

It would be interesting to see the angle of the 3rd base coach watching the left fielder boot it.

They were analyzing that pretty closely on Mike & Mike this morning.  The concensus seems to be that an accurate throw would have gotten him, but that they should have tried for it given how well Bumgarner had been pitching.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Where was the runner when LF booted the ball? Rounding 2nd?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2014, 10:54:28 AM
Where was the runner when LF booted the ball? Rounding 2nd?

Probably-- I don't remember.  They were saying he wasn't running full speed even to first, thinking that it would be a routine bloop single and took a couple seconds to realize it had gotten past Blanco.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 10:44:49 AM
They were analyzing that pretty closely on Mike & Mike this morning.  The concensus seems to be that an accurate throw would have gotten him, but that they should have tried for it given how well Bumgarner had been pitching.

Yup.
There were already 3 fielder miscues on that one play, so it's not crazy to think something might have gone awry on the throw to the plate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2014, 11:52:26 AM

Yup.
There were already 3 fielder miscues on that one play, so it's not crazy to think something might have gone awry on the throw to the plate.

If he gets thrown out though the game is over.  Holding on three is the right call.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2014, 12:06:05 PM
If he gets thrown out though the game is over. 

Yeah, but letting Bumgarner have another crack at out #3 is game over too.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

How crushingly deflating would that have been to the Royals had he been thrown out by a mile?

The 3rd base coach would enter Royals infamy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2014, 12:38:18 PM
How crushingly deflating would that have been to the Royals had he been thrown out by a mile?

The 3rd base coach would enter Royals infamy.

I don't think he'd have been out by a mile.  It could have been close.  In fact, a throw just a little off the mark (or via the relay man) could have meant the tying run.  I don't fault the third base coach for holding him and I wouldn't fault him for sending him. 

One thing's for sure, though.  Had that been Billy Hamilton running the bases, he would have been sent home, he'd be safe and it wouldn't even be close.  That fucker is fast.  Just happens to be on a different team :D

Sophie Scholl

I'm still not sold on Bumgarner as pitching well last night.  I think it was a lot of the Royals psyching themselves out and swinging at horrible pitches they had no business swinging at.  If they had simply sat their bats on their shoulders, especially in his first inning, the Royals could have walked in the tying and winning runs.  The only strikes he was getting were swinging strikes on balls and very, very generous called strikes out of the zone.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 30, 2014, 02:52:46 PM
I'm still not sold on Bumgarner as pitching well last night.  I think it was a lot of the Royals psyching themselves out and swinging at horrible pitches they had no business swinging at.  If they had simply sat their bats on their shoulders, especially in his first inning, the Royals could have walked in the tying and winning runs.  The only strikes he was getting were swinging strikes on balls and very, very generous called strikes out of the zone.

Yeah - by the 9th inning it didn't seem like he was hitting the strike zone very well...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2014, 02:55:55 PM
Yeah - by the 9th inning it didn't seem like he was hitting the strike zone very well...

He didn't have to, and in fact he was probably pitching out of the strike zone on purpose.  If they're willing to chase it at eye level or outside, then you pitch there.

The Minsky Moment

What you are describing is evidence that he was pitching very well indeed; his delivery and movement was deceptive enough to get batters chasing and the umpires to widen the zone.  That's the very definition of successful pitching, unless you are just going to blow people away with gas or use a trick pitch (knuckler, cutter).
--Joan Robinson