News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2014

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 09, 2014, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Yea for my dad's team! And congrats to Bluto you spoiled brat. Sorry for Beeb. Great Series overall.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2014, 10:29:50 PM
Congrats to the Giants once again. 

Sorry BB nothing in sports sucks quite like this.  :(

Well that was an intense three hours or so.  I had myself contorted into some kind of pretzel shape on the couch during the bottom of the ninth.  And it was setting up so beautifully for some bottom of the ninth heroics too. :(

But hell man - the Royals so grossly exceeded expectations that I can't be too disappointed.  Hell they taught me to love baseball again.  I've barely even watched any Jets games - the Royals were playing, man.

So here's hoping that this run means the Royals have turned a page, and they're contenders over the next few years. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2014, 10:32:42 PM
Yea for my dad's team! And congrats to Bluto you spoiled brat. Sorry for Beeb. Great Series overall.

The Giants are just coming off a 56 year drought, they were due.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

And even though order was restored to the universe, you still my condolences, BB.  Hell of a (2nd half of a) year for KC, and that bullpen is a beast.

Bum is a machine with ice in his veins, though.  I don't think his heart rate went above 45.  Guy's a killer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2014, 10:34:46 PM
So here's hoping that this run means the Royals have turned a page, and they're contenders over the next few years. :)

This is what I am trying to console myself with the Orioles right now :P

Hopefully we are both right.  But the Yankees and Sox will not be down long
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Or they could go like the Rockies, blowing straight through the playoffs and the WS, only to disappear into obscurity, never to be heard from again.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 10:36:54 PM
And even though order was restored to the universe, you still my condolences, BB.  Hell of a (2nd half of a) year for KC, and that bullpen is a beast.

Bum is a machine with ice in his veins, though.  I don't think his heart rate went above 45.  Guy's a killer.

Yeah that was quite a performance.  Also a reason I can't be too disappointed - Royals didn't beat themselves, they were just beaten by some amazing pitching.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Oh, definitely.  The Giants won, and the Royals almost won.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2014, 10:32:42 PM
hey I had to wait 37 years for them to win one!

Los Gigantes!!!!!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Missed game as was out filming on location. Will enjoy watching the tivo
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sophie Scholl

It felt like rooting for an ex-girlfriend to do well, but I was solidly rooting for the Royals.  Hell of a finish to what was a mostly awful 7 game series.  I definitely feel that with better plate discipline the Royals could have abused MadBum when he came in, but they haven't had that all year.  In the end, I'm glad that a fantastic game 7 was had as well as that a quality, well built team won.  In theory that could have gone for either squad, which is a nice change.  It wasn't the matchup of one or two top dollar teams, but two great small ball, old school teams.  Props to the Giants and my condolences to the Royals.  With Joe Maddon signing with the Cubbies, we may very well see Back to the Future II pan out with an insane Cubbies win next year.  Regardless, I look forward to the coming season and will once more take my place in the trenches with The Tribe.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

How many pitches did Bumgardner throw in the strike zone in the 9th?  Maybe two?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2014, 10:39:32 PM
Yeah that was quite a performance.  Also a reason I can't be too disappointed - Royals didn't beat themselves, they were just beaten by some amazing pitching.

Great pitching, yes, but someone should probably explain to Perez that the strike zone doesn't extend up to his forehead.

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on October 29, 2014, 11:43:39 PM
hey I had to wait 37 years for them to win one!

Still spoiled.  And remember it's the Cards' turn to win the NLCS next year.  Your boys can take the year off and be fresh for 2016.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 30, 2014, 03:28:52 AM
It felt like rooting for an ex-girlfriend to do well,

Now why in the wide wide world of sports would you ever do that?