News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best game you played in 2013?

Started by Josquius, January 03, 2014, 05:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Not necessariy one made in 2013 but one you played for the first time that year.

Me: Sleeping Dogs
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Judging by hours spent in Steam, Football Manager 2013. EU4 gets an honorary mention for being pretty damn good from the very beginning.

Though I think I was most impressed with Far Cry 3 this year, but FPS games never keep their replay value for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

A few good ones. Bioshock Infinite is the only game in recent memory that I played through three times in a row. But there were others, as well. Two of my favorites were not so much games as they were interactive experiences: Gone Home and the brilliant Stanley Parable.

I'm also enjoying Hearthstone a fair bit (and I normally hate multiplayer only games). Trying to think of more when I'm home.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Nuclear Throne, Skyrim, and, somewhat weirdly, Shadow Warrior.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: fhdz on January 03, 2014, 09:56:23 AM
somewhat weirdly, Shadow Warrior.

The game got good reviews all around.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Games I played in 2013 for the first time and really enjoyed:
- Portal (seriously)
- Gone Home
- Tomb Raider
- Stanley Parable
- Starbound
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Batman: Arkham City
- Rogue Legacy
- Hotline Miami
- Dust - An Elysian Tail
- Pinball FX2
- Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
- Shadowrun Returns
- Bioshock Infinite
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Euro Truck Simulator 2
- Civ 5: BNW
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Papers, Please
- L.A. Noire
- Hearthstone

Of this list my top 3 would be:
- Bioshock Infinite (for telling a great yarn despite all its flaws)
- Papers, Please (for making the mundane gripping and deeply psychological; for me at least)
- The Stanley Parable (for analyzing game design and gamer expectations in a very hilarious format)

Starbound and Gone Home are strong runners up.

There's games I bought on sale but haven't played yet (Dishonored, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and others), though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Papers, Please
I think CK2 and EUIV are both incipient classics. 
I went through an Alpha Centauri phase.  That's pretty close to my favorite game ever.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I forgot EUIV although I've stayed away from it a bit while they sorted through those beta patches.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2014, 05:46:11 AM
Not necessariy one made in 2013 but one you played for the first time that year.

:hug:

Jacob

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2014, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2014, 05:46:11 AM

:hug:

I liked it, but what was up with the one date and dumping of all the ladies Jake !!?!?! :ultra:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 03, 2014, 10:13:55 AM
Probably Arkham Origins.

Game pissed me off to no end.  Almost to the end, I walk into one room fall into space.  I load, I go back to falling into space.  Since the game auto saves my gave was effectively over.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017