Best game you played in 2013?

Started by Josquius, January 03, 2014, 05:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2014, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2014, 05:46:11 AM
Not necessariy one made in 2013 but one you played for the first time that year.

Me: Sleeping Dogs

:hug:

I played that - as one was supposed to - in 2012. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2014, 11:15:06 AM
Quote from: fhdz on January 03, 2014, 09:56:23 AM
somewhat weirdly, Shadow Warrior.

The game got good reviews all around.

It's just not the sort of game I'd typically play, whether it's critically well-received or not.

I bought it on a whim and really liked it.
and the horse you rode in on

OttoVonBismarck

It's been a pretty dull year in gaming for me, I think the only new game I played was Kerbal Space Program...which I'd rate as "really cool concept...but long way to go until it's a game."

I was looking over my Steam library and other installed games and I honestly just don't have many new games in 2013..I played a ton of CK2 but I started playing it in 2012 when it was released.

Razgovory

2013 has been a disappointing year.  A lot of the big releases were disappointments.  Company of heroes 2 was the biggest one for me.  It wasn't terrible, but was still disappointing.  Arkham Origins, A Machine For Pigs, Battlefield 4, and Rome: Total War 2 also disappointing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2014, 05:16:45 PM
2013 has been a disappointing year.  A lot of the big releases were disappointments.  Company of heroes 2 was the biggest one for me.  It wasn't terrible, but was still disappointing.  Arkham Origins, A Machine For Pigs, Battlefield 4, and Rome: Total War 2 also disappointing.

Wow, I didn't buy a single one of those games.

11B4V

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 05, 2014, 03:13:29 PM
It's been a pretty dull year in gaming for me,

Pretty much the same here. Havent really had time. Tried Xcom and was Meh
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

sbr

99% of my gaming time last year was Guild Wars 2.

Off the top of my head, the only games released last year I have played are EUIV and Papers, Please.  I would vote for P,P of those 2.

Ed Anger

My PC gaming went into the toilet this year. 

For the iPad, maybe Battle of the Bulge.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: sbr on January 05, 2014, 07:26:36 PM
99% of my gaming time last year was Guild Wars 2.

Off the top of my head, the only games released last year I have played are EUIV and Papers, Please.  I would vote for P,P of those 2.

I bet Lucas Pope never dreamed that his little game would be such a hit.

Grey Fox

I can't remember. I've played lots of games but nothing stands out. Civ V, I guess or Darksiders II.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Papers Please I just don't get. It feels too much like doing meanial work and following regulations...because well that's what it is. I can't get the fun out of it beyond the initial cool period.
██████
██████
██████

PRC

Starbound.  Early access only became available in December but it's such a fun game.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2014, 09:48:46 AM
Papers Please I just don't get. It feels too much like doing meanial work and following regulations...because well that's what it is. I can't get the fun out of it beyond the initial cool period.

You're right, it's about menial work while you're on a clock and closely watched by your superiors. What made the game very good for me was that it faced you with moral choices, but didn't proselytize. Are you helping the insurgents? Are you letting the poor guy through who lost his papers? Are you helping the trafficked prostitutes by refusing their pimp to enter the country even though his papers check out?

Or do you rather buy food and medicine for your family?

It put you into the mind of a cog in the machine of an oppressive regime and made you feel - well, me at least - that doing the humane thing, often the no brainer choice in video games, can be very hard sometimes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2014, 12:45:58 PM
You're right, it's about menial work while you're on a clock and closely watched by your superiors. What made the game very good for me was that it faced you with moral choices, but didn't proselytize. Are you helping the insurgents? Are you letting the poor guy through who lost his papers? Are you helping the trafficked prostitutes by refusing their pimp to enter the country even though his papers check out?

Or do you rather buy food and medicine for your family?

It put you into the mind of a cog in the machine of an oppressive regime and made you feel - well, me at least - that doing the humane thing, often the no brainer choice in video games, can be very hard sometimes.

Indeed.  I'm replaying KOTOR 1 right now and it struck me how unsubtle the moral choices are- it and most other games with "moral choices" seem to force you between pacifistic conversation choices for "good" and sword-swinging violent executions for "evil" with no real downside to the good and no real upside to the bad, except for completists.  Fallout 3 and Skyrim are at least subtler, but they still fail to give you meaningful mechanical choices to go along with the narrative choices.
Experience bij!