News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I have a new fitness target for the Winter*, cycle 750-900 miles these next three months and hopefully I'll end up retraining some fitness when Spring starts. :unsure:

*Winter offically starts tomorrow according to the Met office.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

If a half marathon is like 12 miles, I think I could do that with a little more work. :unsure:

But I know from firsthand experience that AR is in way, way better shape, cardiovascularly speaking.  Also taller, so greater stride, etc.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 30, 2014, 04:02:13 PM
If a half marathon is like 12 miles, I think I could do that with a little more work. :unsure:

But I know from firsthand experience that AR is in way, way better shape, cardiovascularly speaking.  Also taller, so greater stride, etc.

13.1, but based on what a lot of people do (run / walking ) you could do it now. The pace is everything. Im thinking about a goal for next year, and sort of want to go for sub 1 hr 45 min, but the work to do that is intimidating. You will probably find it a lot easier to stretch your long run distance from 7 to 13 than to shave a minute per mile from your pace.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

CdM has a cat avatar, Mart just added one.  Time to jump on the bandwagon.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 30, 2014, 05:44:11 PM
CdM has a cat avatar, Mart just added one.  Time to jump on the bandwagon.

Jumping on a bandwagon is still jumping, and jumping is related to fitness.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2014, 04:33:01 PM

13.1, but based on what a lot of people do (run / walking ) you could do it now. The pace is everything. Im thinking about a goal for next year, and sort of want to go for sub 1 hr 45 min, but the work to do that is intimidating. You will probably find it a lot easier to stretch your long run distance from 7 to 13 than to shave a minute per mile from your pace.

I'll say this, I have absolutely got to get some better shoes. I mean, I guess I could atart by actually purchasing a pair of my own instead of taking hand me.downs from my dad, whose feet I'm not convinced are exactly the same size.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 06:01:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2014, 04:33:01 PM

I'll say this, I have absolutely got to get some better shoes. I mean, I guess I could atart by actually purchasing a pair of my own instead of taking hand me.downs from my dad, whose feet I'm not convinced are exactly the same size.

I use some quite modest hi-tech activity shoes/boots and they've a nice hard/stiff sole so ideal for cycling and walking in, waterproof-ish and not bad for the occasional sprint for the bus/train.

alfred russel

Ide, I know you are not keen to blow money on stuff like this, but if you plan to keep running 5+ miles it would probably be a good idea to get new shoes from a running specialty store where they can watch you run and match your gait with a shoe. I go to fleet feet, and they apparently have a location in Columbia. New shoes usually run me between $100-$135.

They will try to sell you on socks, which are about $15 a pair. Those socks are good, but $15 a pair. I have a couple pair that I only use if going 12+ miles. There are decent running socks at Target that are much cheaper. The problem is if you are using cotton socks on long runs; they can do a number on your toes.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
Ide, I know you are not keen to blow money on stuff like this, but if you plan to keep running 5+ miles it would probably be a good idea to get new shoes from a running specialty store where they can watch you run and match your gait with a shoe. I go to fleet feet, and they apparently have a location in Columbia. New shoes usually run me between $100-$135.

They will try to sell you on socks, which are about $15 a pair. Those socks are good, but $15 a pair. I have a couple pair that I only use if going 12+ miles. There are decent running socks at Target that are much cheaper. The problem is if you are using cotton socks on long runs; they can do a number on your toes.

Things certainly have changed a lot since I did a lot of running in Silver Shadows, which I think are still standard British army issue.   :)

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

Things certainly have changed a lot since I did a lot of running in Silver Shadows, which I think are still standard British army issue.   :)

I've heard people make the same comments a lot: "I ran marathons in normal shoes and socks back in the day, what is up with all this specialization?"

Maybe the best thing to do is to be aware of the options out there and take advantage of them when you feel there is a reason. Until I started going over 5 miles a run, I never had any problems. After that point, I started having injuries, and that is when I started shifting to different shoes and socks. The socks definitely help with toe and blister issues.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2014, 09:22:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

I've heard people make the same comments a lot: "I ran marathons in normal shoes and socks back in the day, what is up with all this specialization?"

Maybe the best thing to do is to be aware of the options out there and take advantage of them when you feel there is a reason. Until I started going over 5 miles a run, I never had any problems. After that point, I started having injuries, and that is when I started shifting to different shoes and socks. The socks definitely help with toe and blister issues.

Oh I don't doubt you are right, I was just reflecting on just how primitive we were.   :)

Brazen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 23, 2014, 04:18:28 PM
Why do I always hurt my back while doing overhead press?!
Try this: http://stronglifts.com/how-you-can-avoid-lower-back-pain-on-the-overhead-press/

Are you doing warm-up sets starting super-light?

Darth Wagtaros

I probably am not doing enough warm ups.  I'll do some hip openers too.
PDH!

Martinus

I started to follow the paleo diet. :P

Brazen