News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Did a bunch of squats last night.  I am sore today.  In a good way.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
Did a bunch of squats last night.  I am sore today.  In a good way.

:thumbsup:

I'm stiff and sore in a bad way, back and neck locking up, too much hunched over a keyboard and not enough exercise.  :(

Somehow I'll have to find some time tomorrow to do some loosening up and getting out of the saddle exercise on the bike, even if it means going out in the pitch black in the cold evening.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Super broke at the moment so promised myself I wouldn't enter any more races until I'd got back into the swing of running three times a week for three weeks. As it's so dark in the mornings and evenings, I've taken to running from along Embankment and South Bank (either side of the Thames) a couple of lunchtimes a week with a longer run at lunchtimes. My colleagues are grateful this office at least has a shower! I'm not finding it any easier, except mentally. I'm not alone, there are a bazillion other runners out there, but I bloody hate all the tourists suddenly changing direction and stopping to use their selfie sticks i front of me. Zumba tonight because it makes me grin like a loon, and I've recently taken up power yoga on Sunday. Hour and a half of torture - I've never sweated so much but they reckon it burns bugger-all calories.

mongers

Re-organsed a few things and managed to get out in a nice sunny ,cool, autumn afternoon to visit a hospital, three shops, a museum and briefly a friend, a nice little 22-23 mile round trip.  :)

Hopefully that'll keep the fitness gremlins at bay for a few days, especially given the rain forecast for rest of the week/month/year/eternity*  <_<

* deleted depending on just how British you are.

Legbiter

Benched today, deadlifts tomorrow.  :showoff: Did some sprints with a prowler, now that's cardio for ya.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on November 07, 2014, 02:53:32 PM
Benched today, deadlifts tomorrow.  :showoff: Did some sprints with a prowler, now that's cardio for ya.

I have been using the heavy ropes for cardio in between lifting sets.  That is hard enough for me.  I think sprinting with a prowler would kill me.

alfred russel

My running is slipping...I've been doing more upper body work, and also been getting a bit less sleep. For whatever reason, I keep bailing on my long runs (today for example I planned to go 10.6 miles, but at the 2.6 mile mark decided that I'd treat the 2.6 miles as a warmup and work on speed--I think I was going to flame out if I pushed on and tried the full 10.6).

I have a half marathon scheduled in 2.5 weeks, and I'm thinking about pulling out. A part of the problem may be pacing. I've begun starting too fast out of the gate for some reason. But my diet, lack of sleep, and possible energy drain from weightlifting can't be helping.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a long run on a treadmill. That should solve the pacing problem. If I don't get at least 12 miles, I'll pull out of the half marathon.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2014, 06:58:06 PM
My running is slipping...I've been doing more upper body work, and also been getting a bit less sleep. For whatever reason, I keep bailing on my long runs (today for example I planned to go 10.6 miles, but at the 2.6 mile mark decided that I'd treat the 2.6 miles as a warmup and work on speed--I think I was going to flame out if I pushed on and tried the full 10.6).

I have a half marathon scheduled in 2.5 weeks, and I'm thinking about pulling out. A part of the problem may be pacing. I've begun starting too fast out of the gate for some reason. But my diet, lack of sleep, and possible energy drain from weightlifting can't be helping.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a long run on a treadmill. That should solve the pacing problem. If I don't get at least 12 miles, I'll pull out of the half marathon.

:cool:

Good luck with that, I've no words of wisdom to add.

mongers

Had to 'rescue' this thread from page 5.

Does that say it all ? :unsure:

edit:

Done just under a couple hundred miles so far this month on my one speed shopping bike, so just about ticking over. 

Getting rather muddy in the process.

alfred russel

I'm doing the half marathon on Thursday.

I did get 12 miles on the treadmill. Still worried. Several people from work are running, and one guy just turned in a 1:38 time and there is another guy who is usually around 1:30. I won't be near those times, but the pressure is still on.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Why do I always hurt my back while doing overhead press?!
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on November 23, 2014, 04:10:48 PM
I'm doing the half marathon on Thursday.

I did get 12 miles on the treadmill. Still worried. Several people from work are running, and one guy just turned in a 1:38 time and there is another guy who is usually around 1:30. I won't be near those times, but the pressure is still on.

Good luck with that, I'm sure you're be fine; enjoy it.  :)

alfred russel

Half marathon done, with a time of 1 hr 53 min 25 sec. As good as I could have hoped for.

Maladict

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 23, 2014, 04:18:28 PM
Why do I always hurt my back while doing overhead press?!

You are definitely doing something wrong.  Get someone to look at your form.  Even at my height I have no problems with my back.