And we're back!

Main Menu

Scott: 'New Alien film to be prequel'

Started by garbon, June 03, 2009, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 01:11:33 PM
Quote from: Grallon on June 03, 2009, 12:23:03 PM
More like the out-of-control consumerism I've been decrying for ages.  Still, wouldn't like to walk the streets of ruined cities?  Mind you Montreal is already starting to look like a 3rd World city :P
I don't understand how out of control consumerism is to blame for this.  Even back in the glory days of whatever kind of cinema you actually liked, movies that people wanted to see got made.  The failing isn't in the system, or the producers, but in us.

Besides, the cities won't be ruined in the short term.  They'll simply be inhabited by modern savages who will be less and less able to understand the principles that allow modern life.  Eventually, things will break down and they won't be able to fix them, but that will take generations.  Barbarism starts as a social phenomenon and moves from there.
True. 
PDH!

Barrister

So if the only good prequels we can come up are Godfather II and The Magician's Nephew, it shows that prequels suck so much it takes Francis Ford Coppola or C.S. Lewis to make a good one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 01:16:52 PM
So if the only good prequels we can come up are Godfather II and The Magician's Nephew, it shows that prequels suck so much it takes Francis Ford Coppola or C.S. Lewis to make a good one.

The Good, The Band and The Ugly is a prequel; unless you believe Sergio Leone when he said that Clint Eastwood plays three different characters in the three films.

Amityville II is a prequel and a quality example of no rules cinema. :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Except that the Godfather II wasn't a real prequel and the Magicians Nephew isn't a film.  So that still leaves the film industry without a truly great prequel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on June 03, 2009, 01:25:31 PM

The Good, The Band and The Ugly is a prequel; unless you believe Sergio Leone when he said that Clint Eastwood plays three different characters in the three films.

Amityville II is a prequel and a quality example of no rules cinema. :cool:

I don't know if "episodic" works really count as prequels - works that may involve the same character but display no particular character development or no carryover in terms of storyline from one work to another.

And Neil, while I agree it's hard to call GFII a prequel I'm allowing it to show just how exceptional it is.

And I would include books in the general suckitude of prequels.  For some reason I'm thinking of the multitude of Dragonlance Prequels that were written. :bleeding:

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 01:51:56 PM
I don't know if "episodic" works really count as prequels - works that may involve the same character but display no particular character development or no carryover in terms of storyline from one work to another.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" features major character development; the serape The Man With No Name picks up is his most defining feature of his personality in the next two films.   ;)

And I would include books in the general suckitude of prequels.  For some reason I'm thinking of the multitude of Dragonlance Prequels that were written. :bleeding:

If we include books then "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "Wicked" are prequels to "Jane Eyre" and "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" respectively.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on June 03, 2009, 02:01:18 PM
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" features major character development; the serape The Man With No Name picks up is his most defining feature of his personality in the next two films.   ;)

But Lee van Cleef gets killed, so it can't be the first.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2009, 02:06:21 PM

His personality changed too; maybe he became a revenant between The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and For a Few Dollars More.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 01:51:56 PM

If we include books then "Wide Sargasso Sea" and "Wicked" are prequels to "Jane Eyre" and "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" respectively.

I'll let the first comment stand as proof of the point I was already making.  :p

I don't know those books.  Are they exceptions to the "prequels=teh suck" hypothesis or not?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2009, 02:06:21 PM

Are you joking?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 02:11:34 PM
I don't know those books.  Are they exceptions to the "prequels=teh suck" hypothesis or not?

Wicked was great, kind of a stretch to call it a prequel to Wizard of Oz though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I thought they were seperate films with more or less the same characters but not at all connected (at least as per Leone's intention)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

But the last three Star Wars movies were all prequels, so clearly it is possible...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 02:11:34 PM

They aren't really prequels, they are (radically) different viewpoints for the same characters.

Ed Anger

As long as they don't fuck with Aliens.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive