News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where should the EU go from here?

Started by Queequeg, December 14, 2013, 04:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where should the EU go from here?

I'm a citizen of the EU, and I think the EU should push towards faster integration and expansion
6 (17.1%)
I'm a citizen of the EU, and I think integration of the core is fine but expansion should halt, at least temporarily
7 (20%)
I'm a citizen of the EU and I think that no further integration is needed temporarily, but expansion is fine
0 (0%)
I'm a citizen of the EU, and I think it should just try not to collapse for a few years
1 (2.9%)
I'm a citizen of the EU, and I think devolution is needed but expansion is fine
0 (0%)
I'm a citizen of the EU, and I think that the status quo in Brussels is okay but the non-core states should leave
1 (2.9%)
I'm a citizen of the EU and I think it's completely useless and was from Day-1
0 (0%)
I'm a non-EU European and want my country to join a further integrated EU
0 (0%)
I'm a non-EU European and want my country to stay the hell away from Brussels
1 (2.9%)
I'm not a European but I'm generally in favor of further expansion and integration of the EU
7 (20%)
I'm not a European and I think that the entire European project was a mistake
3 (8.6%)
I'm not a European and I'm glad of it, not my issue
5 (14.3%)
I'm Emperor Jaron and I demand that Europe restore the borders of the Empire to the time of Justinian
0 (0%)
Other (explain)
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

For non-EU European, use your own definition but explain why.  I was thinking Euro, but play your own kind of music.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Other. I don't think the EU is completely useless, it can help with keeping the retarded countries on the Continent from going to war over silly things all the time. But as a real organization for grown-up countries the EU is retarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I think integration should continue, but expansion should be slowed down, because any prospective and interested new members (Ukraine, ex-Yugo, Turkey) would make consolidation even harder, though I wouldn't be against having special agreements that, over time, give them a similar relationship with the EU as Switzerland or Norway have certain degree of ecoomic integration, but no little to no political integration).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2013, 04:30:39 AM
Other. I don't think the EU is completely useless, it can help with keeping the retarded countries on the Continent from going to war over silly things all the time. But as a real organization for grown-up countries the EU is retarded.
I was thinking about putting in "I'm European and like the EU okay but it's not for us" because it would probably have a lot of Scandis, but didn't put it in for some reason.

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2013, 04:32:30 AM
I was thinking about putting in "I'm European and like the EU okay but it's not for us" because it would probably have a lot of Scandis, but didn't put it in for some reason.

It's OK, I still love you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

I'd like to see a Europe without national boundaries as a natural, coherent ally in the world with the US. 

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2013, 04:33:39 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2013, 04:32:30 AM

It's OK, I still love you.
:hug:

Crazy_Ivan80

other: no more expansion, no more integration but devolution until the Union is remade as a pure trade-block. What people like Verhofstadt and Cohn-Bandit (sp?) are peddling belongs on the dungheap of bad ideas.

Ideologue

Once the EU became a vehicle for German bankers to loot the continent, it was probably doomed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 03:09:02 PM
Once the EU became a vehicle for German bankers to loot the continent, it was probably doomed.
:lmfao:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 14, 2013, 03:09:02 PM

Dude, that's not even close.

Ideologue

Huge account surpluses paid for by other countries' debt combined with constant demands that the debtors destroy their own governments if it means Germany gets another penny today rather than a Greek eat tomorrow?  You've blinded yourself to the international German conspiracy.

OK, maybe I'm being a little silly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Integration?  Yes.  Expansion?  No.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Integration and expansion yes.
For expansion it's not like we're going to have another mass addition of Eastern Europeans anytime soon.
Serbia is reasonably small and has a long way to go, the other Yugoslavs even smaller and further,
Albania is a joke.
Iceland, if they do decide to join, are tiny and fine.
Ukraine? Georgia? Yeah, not even on the agenda.
Turkey is the only one with potential to join and could cause problems, but again it has a long way to go before it can begin to qualify.
Cape Verde are small and welcome.
██████
██████
██████