And we're back!

Main Menu

Nelson Mandela RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 05, 2013, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2013, 11:02:54 AM
Was it a Kwanzaa present from your aunt?  She still off the Kwanzaa?  :(

No. I think it was actually my father's.

I don't know if she is - but I know that her daughter is all about it now. I think my aunt finally gave up on having her African name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2013, 11:04:11 AM
Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
The thing is, I am not sure they were serious missteps.  He had a militant period, but it seems pretty clear he was fighting injustice and tyranny.  When it came time to make peace, he not only did so, he worked hard to include even those who worked on the side of injustice.  The measure of the man is not that he might have fought when it was time to fight, but that he was willing to forgive when it was time to forgive.  South Africa is not Zimbabwe for a reason, and I think that is the legacy of Mandela.  Now let's see if others can live up to that.

Well said

Not really.  Posting that on Languish, PDH is endorsing a Marxist terrorist.

derspiess

Really?  You think that's a majority view here? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2013, 09:47:20 AM

It's not like he was running around McVeighing up South Africa.  But Americans I have a particular disconnect when it comes to synthesizing the moral applications of violence when it comes to people who don't wear uniforms.  Violence is an option for the oppressor, never the oppressed.  Fits within their my selective notions of good and evil.
It's either Gandhi or Patton for them me, there's nothing in between.
Fixed your projection problem.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

One of you Languish people with money really ought to give Seedy a job.

derspiess

I'd give him a job, but with the stipulation that he relocate to this conservative little corner of Ohio :menace:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

I'll give Seeedy a job. Shinning my boots.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
Really?  You think that's a majority view here?

No, you guys have rewritten your history on how Mandela was viewed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2013, 11:45:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2013, 09:47:20 AM

It's not like he was running around McVeighing up South Africa.  But Americans I have a particular disconnect when it comes to synthesizing the moral applications of violence when it comes to people who don't wear uniforms.  Violence is an option for the oppressor, never the oppressed.  Fits within their my selective notions of good and evil.
It's either Gandhi or Patton for them me, there's nothing in between.
Fixed your projection problem.

:lol: You go Seedy. Dont let the esatblished elite keep you down.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 06, 2013, 11:47:34 AM
One of you Languish people with money really ought to give Seedy a job.

I offered him one.  He turned me down. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Seedy has gone full Chomsky.  You never go full Chomsky. :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2013, 01:46:59 PM
Seedy has gone full Chomsky.  You never go full Chomsky. :(

Hey when you worked for Phil Gramm did you ever ask him why he voted against the South African Sanctions?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2013, 02:16:11 PM
Hey when you worked for Phil Gramm did you ever ask him why he voted against the South African Sanctions?

:lol: I just posted in the soccer and movie threads.  You should respond to those too.

You've been slacking the last couple weeks and you have a lot of ground to make up.

11B4V

QuoteThe Zionist Text books where they distort and re-write history to make them the everlasting victors......yes, I have read those books too and it's full of errors and bull shit!!

Facebook  :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

History records the Zionists as everlasting victors?  Man I would hate to know the truth about the outcome of the Bar Kokhba Revolt then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."