Cultural Learnings Of United Kingdom To Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Hungary

Started by Tamas, December 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2014, 11:59:59 AM
I bought my first national lottery ticket recently. Since now winning the jackpot is only a matter of time I must ask: I am eligible to win it, right?

I don't buy the national lottery tickets as the prizes are too paltry. Instead, whenever the Euromillions jackpot has gone up to over £100m I buy one of those.

Just so you know, there are no taxes whatsoever on lottery winnings; should you win £10m or so it will all be yours  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 21, 2014, 02:51:00 PM
I don't buy the national lottery tickets as the prizes are too paltry. Instead, whenever the Euromillions jackpot has gone up to over £100m I buy one of those.

Yeah but then you are competing with every Finn, Slovak, and Romanian with money to burn right?  Granted your chances are not that much worse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2014, 02:52:42 PM

Yeah but then you are competing with every Finn, Slovak, and Romanian with money to burn right?  Granted your chances are not that much worse.

Yes, but if I missed out on winning a few million I might be disappointed. Not winning £100m usually gives me a sense of relief.

DGuller

Just so you know, there are no taxes whatsoever on lottery winnings; should you win £10m or so it will all be yours  :cool:
With ridiculous tax breaks like that, why aren't more people winning the lottery?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2014, 02:58:03 PM
With ridiculous tax breaks like that, why aren't more people winning the lottery?

Hmmm..........this is an actuary joke isn't it?

Josquius

A friend once got 5 numbers on the lottery, he was so happy... Until he found out that several hundred other people also did and rather than the hundreds of thousands he was expecting he got only around a thousand
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 21, 2014, 03:00:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2014, 02:58:03 PM

Hmmm..........this is an actuary joke isn't it?
Why are you phrasing it like it's a bad thing?  :(

Tamas

So I live in a tiny (but cozy) studio flat now.

I need to decide if I want to switch electricty and gas away from British Gas. There is a shitload of providers with seemingly minor differences in prices. What are the most common traps I should be aware of? Beside cancellation fees. I am looking at living in this place for 7-8 months, but longer is not off the cards entirely.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 05:21:36 AM

I need to decide if I want to switch electricty and gas away from British Gas. There is a shitload of providers with seemingly minor differences in prices. What are the most common traps I should be aware of? Beside cancellation fees. I am looking at living in this place for 7-8 months, but longer is not off the cards entirely.

Today, my minion told me to look at this site - http://www.uswitch.com/

She told me that she generally stays away from British Gas as they tend to be more expensive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

There are all kinds of complicated rates, if you don't know your actual consumption then it will be hard to pick the right one.

For 7 or 8 months with an unknown consumption rate it is probably not worth it.

(I check every now and then and have switched twice in 10 years, but we get through a fair amount of gas and electricity here so it was worth it).

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 05:21:36 AM

We switched to Ovo a couple of years ago from British Gas and pay about half of what we used to. So far they've been excellent.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 01, 2015, 06:02:17 AM
There are all kinds of complicated rates, if you don't know your actual consumption then it will be hard to pick the right one.

For 7 or 8 months with an unknown consumption rate it is probably not worth it.

(I check every now and then and have switched twice in 10 years, but we get through a fair amount of gas and electricity here so it was worth it).

I agree I probably shouldn't overthink it for this time frame, and I should stay away from more complicated packages. On the other hand, checking out comparison sites, it seems it is pretty easy to get something considerably cheaper than British Gas.

Richard Hakluyt

Maybe just go for Ovo then, like Gups I've been using them for a couple of years and they seem to have good prices.

Their bills are also more comprehensible than most.

Grey Fox

This must be the most British conversation Languish has ever had.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.