News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I think we should go back to calling Argentina "the Argentine".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on May 06, 2014, 11:05:01 AM

I am not seeing "we want to stay Ukraine but we do not like this government" protests. ANYWHERE. What I see is masked guys in unmarked military uniforms joined by local thugs taking over local government buildings in different cities in coordinated assaults then shooting down helicopters with anti-aircraft weaponry.

That is NOT about inner politics dissent over a shaky and fucked up government (which they clearly have).

I think what Russia is up to is pretty standard ops to send in special forces to infiltrate and work with the local friendly forces, incite unrest, etc.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2014, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 06, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 06, 2014, 06:23:27 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2014, 12:15:08 PM
The Netherlands are just a breakaway region of Germany.

The Netherlands is singular, not plural. :contract:

it's plural as it refers to the many small states that formed the country in the 16th century (and to the Southern and Northern Netherlands that formed the state after it was reformed in 1814/15). English doesn't have a singular form for the place.

Pretty sure it should be "The Netherlands is" and not "The Netherlands are" in English.

Both sound acceptable. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 06, 2014, 01:25:29 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 06, 2014, 06:23:27 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2014, 12:15:08 PM
The Netherlands are just a breakaway region of Germany.

The Netherlands is singular, not plural. :contract:

it's plural as it refers to the many small states that formed the country in the 16th century (and to the Southern and Northern Netherlands that formed the state after it was reformed in 1814/15). English doesn't have a singular form for the place.
It is singular.  It is a common mistake for non-American-English speakers to confuse the particular case of a country or a company for plural, but that's not how it works.  "The United States of America" is singular in English, even though the noun portion of the name is plural.  Ditto for "Sanford and Sons".

Note that British-English uses the plural for a company:  "Wal-Mart are opening a new store."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 06, 2014, 11:27:05 AM

Sure, the Russians are sending in infiltrators who are claiming to speak for the population. The real Crimean referendum result suggests that the east Ukrainians aren't exactly sold on the idea of becoming part of Russia, but that the Russian forces are allowed to operate so freely also suggests that the population condones their actions to some degree. Offering the Donbas autonomy as an alternative to being ruled by a nationalist government or joining Russia would weaken the Russian position there.

People who walk around in military uniforms and with assault rifles get quite a bit of leeway in what they want to do, no matter what the public opinion is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

If only we could send in those guys from Nevada to stop them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2014, 02:43:26 PM
If only we could send in those guys from Nevada to stop them.

They could teach them a thing or two about roadblocks.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

<cue Raz domestic terrorist rant>
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

I think they dug enough of a hole for themselves, don't you?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2014, 02:32:51 PM

It is singular.  It is a common mistake for non-American-English speakers to confuse the particular case of a country or a company for plural, but that's not how it works.  "The United States of America" is singular in English, even though the noun portion of the name is plural.
Wasn't it plural before 1865?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2014, 09:01:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2014, 02:32:51 PM

It is singular.  It is a common mistake for non-American-English speakers to confuse the particular case of a country or a company for plural, but that's not how it works.  "The United States of America" is singular in English, even though the noun portion of the name is plural.
Wasn't it plural before 1865?

Myth.  There was a change in the 19th century from the plural to singular forms but it started far earlier and the events of crisis and the Civil War slowed that process down rather than was responsible for it.  Which is sort of logical when you think about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2014, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2014, 04:59:07 PM

I think they dug enough of a hole for themselves, don't you?

To a point.  Just maybe not as deep as you think.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Does the pigs head on the far left represent The Netherlands ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"