News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Traditional European Values being 1849 and 1956?  Talk about double standards, look what Russia can do and STILL be Hungary's big hero.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I just had a hideous thought.  Could Russia become the dominate power in Europe through exploiting European democracies?  Could they bring to power pro-Russian parties through bribery, astroturfing, and other dirty tricks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2014, 03:57:58 PM
I just had a hideous thought.  Could Russia become the dominate power in Europe through exploiting European democracies?  Could they bring to power pro-Russian parties through bribery, astroturfing, and other dirty tricks?

No. Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PJL

They sort of tried that during the cold war with all the Communist parties. Didn't have much success though.

Barrister

It ultimately didn't work in 1945-1989, and then at least they had a coherent ideology that had appeal to certain numbers of people.

Now they're trying the same strategy, but their ideology is a weird form of nationalism, social conservatism and economic clientelism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Russian Nationalism may play well to Hungarians but I think most Europeans regard it as less than an ideal model for their own society.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: PJL on April 08, 2014, 04:02:02 PM

They sort of tried that during the cold war with all the Communist parties. Didn't have much success though.

They managed to keep Communism mainstream in non-Soviet Europe. Sweden supported all kinds of weird Communist countries. They did have decent success I reckon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PJL

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

It ultimately didn't work in 1945-1989, and then at least they had a coherent ideology that had appeal to certain numbers of people.

Now they're trying the same strategy, but their ideology is a weird form of nationalism, social conservatism and economic clientelism.

There's a word for that sort of weird mix, it's called fascism.

Razgovory

This is true, but the lack of coherent ideology might help.  Money doesn't know the difference between right and left.  The Russians are also now much more integrated in Europe then the Soviets ever were as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

On the other hand I'd argue Putinism/managed democracy could be the first serious ideological challenger to Western liberal market democracy since the Cold War.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
On the other hand I'd argue Putinism/managed democracy could be the first serious ideological challenger to Western liberal market democracy since the Cold War.
Also, for all of Communism's idealogical appeal, its economic policies and inability to fully function within a parliamentary or democratic society more or less doomed it from the get-go.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

The problem with that is that Russia sort of sucks. It really isn't attractive in any way. It is not wealthy. It has a crappy birthrate. People don't live very long. People are leaving. Culturally, it has been sort of a wasteland for a century. It doesn't even have that many people or that strong of a military to be a world power.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

:huh:
The only reasons why anyone pays attention to Russia are ample fossil fuel reserves.

Syt

Well, they keep the "Fuck AmeriKKKa and their EU lapdogs" crowd somewhat happy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 09, 2014, 02:52:52 AM
Well, they keep the "Fuck AmeriKKKa and their EU lapdogs" crowd somewhat happy.

Indeed, there's always a guaranteed degree of support for whoever takes that mantle. Hardly a feat of political geostrategy.