News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

What are left-wingers all Islamophiles or something?  Anyway Mongols are cool :goldenhorde:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 05:03:32 PM
I guess it makes it easier to support them if you forget they are Muslim.

What in my posting history gives you the impression I dislike Muslims?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Not sure if you knew this but Raz knows you better than you know yourself. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

This is true.  I know you all better then you know yourselves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 11:53:43 AM
Still think the Tatars have nothing to fear in Crimea, Queenqueg?
He's going after the Catholics too :o

I would have guessed the one lesson he'd learn from the fall of Communism is don't fuck with the Pope <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 06:29:40 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

This is true.  I know you all better then you know yourselves.

Peering in through the drapes does give on a certain insight ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/26/us-ukraine-crisis-usa-idUSBREA2P22120140326

QuoteWestern governments see continuing Russian buildup on Ukraine border

(Reuters) - U.S. and European security agencies estimate Russia has deployed military and militia units totaling more than 30,000 people along its border with eastern Ukraine, according to U.S. and European sources familiar with official reporting.

The current estimates represent what officials on both sides of the Atlantic describe as a continuing influx of Russian forces along the Ukraine frontier, the sources said.

The 30,000 figure represents a significant increase from a figure of 20,000 Russian troops along the border that was widely reported in U.S. and European media last week.

But U.S. and European security sources noted that these estimates are imprecise. Some estimates put current troop levels as high as 35,000 while others still suggest a level of 25,000, the sources said.

However, the sources said that U.S. and European government experts believe that there has been, and continues to be, a steady and noticeable buildup in the total number of Russian forces along the Ukrainian border, though some military units have rotated in or out of the area.

U.S. and European security sources said that the Russian force deployed along the Ukraine border includes regular military including infantry and armored units and some air support.

Also deployed are militia or special forces units comprised of Russian fighters, wearing uniforms lacking insignia or other identifying markings, similar to the first Russian forces to move into Crimea during Russia's recent military takeover there.

U.S. officials said that what Russian President Vladimir Putin actually plans to do with his forces deployed on the Ukraine border is unknown. Some officials say intelligence information available to policymakers regarding what Putin is thinking, and what he is saying to his advisors and military commanders, is fragmentary to non-existent.

But the portents are potentially ominous. "No one's ruling out the possibility of additional Russian military aggression," one U.S. official said.

U.S. President Barack Obama was non-committal when asked about the 30,000 Russian troops estimate at a news conference in The Hague on Tuesday.

"With respect to the Russian troops that are along the border of Ukraine at the moment, right now they are on Russian soil. And if they stay on Russian soil, we oppose what appears to be an effort of intimidation, but Russia has a right, legally, to have its troops on its own soil. I don't think it's a done deal. And I think that Russia's still making a series of calculations," Obama said.

Err, 30k doesn't really sound like enough to take over Ukraine, does it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

There are another 25k in Crimea and another detachment in Transnistria.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2014, 11:02:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2014, 10:55:16 AM
C'mon Barack, grow a spine.

And do what?

Well, he could do better then be "non committal" on the Russian forces on the border.  Ideally we'd put Siegebreaker there.

Admiral Yi

So you want Barry to deploy US troops in Ukraine?

Razgovory

Grey Fox

I want Barry to grow a spine & fix the American Healthcare system. Not get NATO into a conflict against Russia over Ukraine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 26, 2014, 07:49:09 PM
He's going after the Catholics too :o

I would have guessed the one lesson he'd learn from the fall of Communism is don't fuck with the Pope <_<

Russian media/propaganda also seems to be making a big deal about the small but rapidly growing Protestant movement in western Ukraine.  I've read several anti-Ukraine articles or comments where Russians are outraged and/or amused that the acting Ukrainian president is a Baptist.  Which from my American perspective seems like a bizarre criticism.  And yes, I know how Russia has taken steps to suppress non-traditional religious organizations so it's a big deal to them.  But still...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall