News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

http://www.theonion.com/articles/crimean-voters-excited-to-exercise-democracy-for-l,355484

QuoteCrimean Voters Excited To Exercise Democracy For Last Time

SIMFEROPOL, UKRAINE—Following yesterday's referendum in which 97 percent of voters cast ballots in favor of seceding from Ukraine and joining the Russian Federation, Crimean citizens expressed their excitement Monday at participating in the democratic process one final time. "It brought me such great personal joy to head to the polls and, for the last time ever, have my vote tallied and actually mean something," said local businessman Sergei Petrov of his vote in support of annexation by Russia, echoing the enthusiasm of hundreds of thousands of his fellow Crimeans who proudly took part in their final opportunity to assert their collective will at the ballot box. "Yesterday was a historic day for Crimea. Our people had a say in their future, and our voices were heard loud and clear, which is extremely special given that it won't happen again for who knows how long." At press time, Crimeans were commemorating the vote to become Russian citizens by eagerly watching and reading coverage of the momentous event in the limited handful of sanctioned media sources they now have available to them.

DontSayBanana

Actually, that's a pet peeve of mine.  The rhetoric about this has been absolutely asinine about it being "undemocratic."  A coherent body of people voting overwhelmingly to select their government?  Sounds about as democratic as it gets- it strikes me that we've fallen into this rhetorical trap that "democratic" equals "good," and "undemocratic" automatically equates to "bad."

That and going on about the illegal referendum, while it's questionably legal, at best, the way Yakunovych was ousted.

Doesn't mean I'm pro-referendum, BTW, just that they're hitting all the wrong talking points about this.  It opens our government up to accusations of double standards that should never have been plausible in the first case.
Experience bij!

sbr

The new Attorney General of Crimea, Natalia Polonskaya.

sbr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2014, 07:04:44 PM
Actually, that's a pet peeve of mine.  The rhetoric about this has been absolutely asinine about it being "undemocratic."  A coherent body of people voting overwhelmingly to select their government?  Sounds about as democratic as it gets- it strikes me that we've fallen into this rhetorical trap that "democratic" equals "good," and "undemocratic" automatically equates to "bad."

That and going on about the illegal referendum, while it's questionably legal, at best, the way Yakunovych was ousted.

Doesn't mean I'm pro-referendum, BTW, just that they're hitting all the wrong talking points about this.  It opens our government up to accusations of double standards that should never have been plausible in the first case.

Are you addressing the Onion or something before that?

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on March 17, 2014, 07:06:33 PM
The new Attorney General of Crimea, Natalia Polonskaya.

I wouldn't mind living in a police state if she is the one that would abuse my rights.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

I've changed my mind. I'm now all for an independent Crimea that's free to appoint any they deem fit to hold official office.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: sbr on March 17, 2014, 07:07:22 PM

The Onion article.  I'm getting kind of sick of hearing Obama and the Temp PM put their feet in their mouths about how Russia's undermining democracy in Ukraine.  A plebiscite is about as democratic as it gets, whether you like the results or not.
Experience bij!

Viking

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

Democracy means that sovereignty rests with the people and the people make the laws which they themselves live by. Modern liberal democracies exercise this by following the will of the majority while respecting the rights of the minority. Holding a vote is by no means the same a consulting the people and having a plebiscite is by no means respecting the rights of the minority.

Voting does not equate to democracy. There are countless one vote one time regimes in the world.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Polonskaya  :lol:

But yeah, she's maybe a 9.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2014, 07:12:28 PM
The Onion article.  I'm getting kind of sick of hearing Obama and the Temp PM put their feet in their mouths about how Russia's undermining democracy in Ukraine.  A plebiscite is about as democratic as it gets, whether you like the results or not.
I think there are several issues with this plebiscite though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2014, 07:12:28 PMA plebiscite is about as democratic as it gets, whether you like the results or not.

It has to be free before it can begin to be democratic.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

The article about John Kerry posing as a masseuse to get a few minutes alone with Putin is really going to piss you off.

Viking

No.

After being occupied by an invading force, having it's autonomous government removed and replaced by one backed by 4% of the electorated a plebicite is held where the options are "yes" and "hell yes", where international election observers are denied access with virtually zero time available for campaigning with obvious harrassment of political opponents of the 4% regieme one can hardly call this plebicite "about as democratic as it gets".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

It wasn't exactly a fair referendum though. Russia might have majority support, but I really doubt it is over 90%.

Also, you don't get to carve out electorally favorable portions of foreign countries with your military to have them vote on stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

She's wearing awful shoes in the 3rd pic.

I'd still impregnate it though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive