News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

My history teacher in the late 80s used to say that the Russians are paranoid about the Western part of Europe invading - Napoleon, Crimean War, WW1, the Russian Civil War with foreign interventions, WW2 ... he said that they're intent on creating buffers - Russia surrounded by the other Soviet republics, then another zone of Warsaw Pact countries; basically, their aim is to make the march of any potential enemy to Moscow as long and painful as possible.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So, any guesses as to what happens next? Will Putin push for immediate integration? Or will he slow things down to try and cushion Western response? Or will he say, "Screw Western response", accelerate the altercations in the East and South of Ukraine and come to "rescue" the rest of the Russians living there? It would make it easier, I guess, to supply those 2000 troops in Moldova. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2014, 12:47:05 AM
My history teacher in the late 80s used to say that the Russians are paranoid about the Western part of Europe invading - Napoleon, Crimean War, WW1, the Russian Civil War with foreign interventions, WW2 ... he said that they're intent on creating buffers - Russia surrounded by the other Soviet republics, then another zone of Warsaw Pact countries; basically, their aim is to make the march of any potential enemy to Moscow as long and painful as possible.

Sounds like an excuse for land grab to me.  They are armed with nuclear weapons.  That itself is sufficient to make any march to Moscow kinda dangerous. 

And the Mongols came from the East :contract:

Richard Hakluyt

Zombie Enver Hoxha sneers in contempt at the referendum result and says "thërrasë se një mandat?"  :huh:

Archy

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the referendum for seperation of Chechnya from the Russian Federeation  :ph34r:

Syt

It seems that the Russians are saying that they're open to talks about any topic regarding Ukraine - except the Crimean referendum. The Russian foreign ministry is opening a support group for Ukraine, open to all political groups.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainian parliament has green-lit the mobilization of 40,000 reservists.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

On the one hand Russia didn't let the Georgian break aways just join them and Crimea would be much more sudden and much bigger a deal.
On the other hand Crimea is much bigger a deal and Russians are not known for following standard logic...
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Monoriu on March 17, 2014, 01:43:44 AM

Sounds like an excuse for land grab to me.  They are armed with nuclear weapons.  That itself is sufficient to make any march to Moscow kinda dangerous. 

And the Mongols came from the East :contract:

Yes, and with Russian influence in the 'stans the march on moscow from the east is very very long.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2014, 12:52:50 AM
So, any guesses as to what happens next? Will Putin push for immediate integration? Or will he slow things down to try and cushion Western response? Or will he say, "Screw Western response", accelerate the altercations in the East and South of Ukraine and come to "rescue" the rest of the Russians living there? It would make it easier, I guess, to supply those 2000 troops in Moldova. :P

I think he has made the same evaluation of western resolve as Hitler did after Munich. We are weak, inconstant, won't support our allies and when presented with a fait accompli we back down.

What both of them didn't understand is that we operate on multiple modes, countries are either rational and friendly in which case we will bend over backwards to accommodate them, or they are irrational and hostile in which case we will screw them over as much as possible. The only two ways of getting out of the latter group is either generations of good behavior or a pro-western revolution.

Telling people like Assad that he is a reformer and Abbas that he is a partner for peace and Putin that his eyes made him look trustworthy is about telling the western public and the dictator that we haven't given up on them yet. They should take it as a signal that it is no longer taken for granted that they are. No third world dictator didn't get praised for his reform agenda while western diplomats were insisting that he have a reform agenda that actually progressed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

What's up with the far right-wing enthusiasm for Russia? The observers they found were right-wing nutters, and now the Danish People's Party want to recognize the election, because as they say: "96% is everybody, we have to acknowledge that. I saw no signs of foul play during the election".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I guess the right-wingers respect a strong leader who promotes the greatness of the fatherland? :unsure:

What worries me about Russia vs. USSR is the change in ideology. The USSR was - on paper - promoting an egalitarian society to the benefit of all people. They would mostly act paranoid, but on the whole rationally and calm headed.

Putin's Russia has a much stronger nationalist bend, with a resurgent Orthodox Church, and he styles himself as the protector of the true, traditional values and protector of Slavs and Orthodoxy. He appeals to the people emotionally, which, IMO, makes things on the whole more volatile.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Indeed, it's more like Czarist Russia, but without the Czar.

And that will ultimately create a succession problem.

Iormlund

Syt it does make sense that Putin is going for the emotional response, because from any other point of view his Ucranian adventure could end in catastrophe. By excising Crimea from Ukraine he might damage Russian influence there forever. Not to mention the risks of Western sanctions or renewed impetus for fracking and other forms of energy independence.