Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2014, 10:03:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2014, 09:53:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2014, 09:35:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 20, 2014, 08:44:25 PM
Meh, let them play with their guns.  This is Lviv.  If they actually have to fire those things in Lviv, then things have gotten really, really bad for the good guys.

Any old friends fighting there?
Old enemies are much more statistically likely.  :(

Yeah, the good guys you cheer for now probably include the anti semites that made your life miserable before. But they are probably still the good guys and worthy of your cheering, because the other guys are worse. Eastern Europe.  :rolleyes:
:yes:

Tamas

As it turns out, you guys all got it wrong. Hungarian state radio news did not mention the protesters getting shot, at all. They talked about snipers killing policemen, and that the police forces "have started fighting terrorist activity".

If you are wondering, we just signed a historically huge deal with Russia to build a new nuclear power plant, for which Putin will give us 15 billion dollars or thereabouts, almost the exact same amount he agreed to give to Ukraine and is withholding at the moment.

So yeah, say what you will but if Ukraine falls into Russia's arms, Putin will not stop there. He already has his foot in the EU via us.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2014, 05:10:35 AM
The UK? :huh:

Hungary. I still forget some times that I am living far away from there, now.  :Embarrass:

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2014, 04:56:09 AM
As it turns out, you guys all got it wrong. Hungarian state radio news did not mention the protesters getting shot, at all. They talked about snipers killing policemen, and that the police forces "have started fighting terrorist activity".

If you are wondering, we just signed a historically huge deal with Russia to build a new nuclear power plant, for which Putin will give us 15 billion dollars or thereabouts, almost the exact same amount he agreed to give to Ukraine and is withholding at the moment.

So yeah, say what you will but if Ukraine falls into Russia's arms, Putin will not stop there. He already has his foot in the EU via us.

A nuke plant using Russian plans? I would think French nuke plant tech is much better, or a few other nations. Why go with Russia? I assume the money bribe inducement.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on February 21, 2014, 08:33:18 AM

A nuke plant using Russian plans? I would think French nuke plant tech is much better, or a few other nations. Why go with Russia? I assume the money bribe inducement.

You probably assume right. Although it will be an extension to our already present (Russian built) nucular power plant.

But nobody understands the reasons, exact terms are kept secret, what is known of them basically hint at a blank cheque handed to Putin both in terms of the loan terms, as well as later Russian influence on stuff like price of electricity provided by the plant (there is a "relevant Russian comity" which will need to agree to the prices set. While the power plant itself will be owned by the Hungarian state  :huh:)

Very confusing and troubling. For me it hints at our Prime Minister (who clearly has ambitions of replicating Putin's "achievments" in internal rule) securing a new protector in case he pushed things to a fallout with the EU in the coming decades.

Liep

So can we expect a 'Hungary's European Revolution' thread any time soon?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

So from what I understand, the measures passed by parliament last night (or early this morning local Kiev time?) were subject to presidential approval so Yanu still had a bargaining chip left.  He has agreed to a deal with the opposition & it sounds like the terms include Yanu staying as prez for now, early elections (i.e., sometime this year), return to 2004 constitution with redistribution of powers from president to parliament, and the interior minister (a very evil-looking man btw) will not be in the new government.

EU is happy with the agreement; Russia is not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Tamas, Sounds like your Prime Minister is nostalgic about the "good old" Soviet occupation days. :ph34r:  Whether you get the plant from Russia or not, you should have control of your own power generation, no need of some kind of Russian, or any other, outside influence or payoffs. That plan sounds really odd - I'd say follow the money/influence trail to see who profits and why. Though I guess since it's a Russian plant, and the Russians are funding a lot of it, they want their payback.

Valmy

Really?  The freaking Russians?  After 1849 and 1956 the Hungarians still think it is the Western Europeans and the United States who are their enemy and the Russians who are their friends?  That is hilarious.  How stupid can they be?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The fun thing is that under EU rules Hungary normally would have had to put the project through a public bidding process; they've gotten around that by declaring this an expansion of an existing installation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2014, 09:40:01 AM

Really?  The freaking Russians?  After 1849 and 1956 the Hungarians still think it is the Western Europeans and the United States who are their enemy and the Russians who are their friends?  That is hilarious.  How stupid can they be?

If Russia is going to give them $15b, why not play the line that the Ukrainian police are fighting terrorist activity?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I'd be willing to say that for $15 billion.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2014, 09:10:45 AM
EU is happy with the agreement; Russia is not.

EU wins, Russia loses? I didn't expect it to turn out that way, but if it does good for Ukraine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 09:45:40 AM
I'd be willing to say that for $15 billion.
:hmm: I'd even settle for $10 billion.