News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: 11B4V on February 20, 2014, 12:33:05 PM

Ukranians cannot even do a proper Turtousse formation.
I blame it on their centurions.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Did he have a majority?

I guess technically a very strong plurality.  Per Wiki his party/front/whatever had nearly 50% and they formed a government together with a handful of unaffiliated members.  I suppose I should've said "government" rather than majority.

Anyway, since there is a fairly sizeable chunk of communists in the parliament whom I'm guessing are not particularly sympathetic  to the main opposition, I'm thinking the opposition peeled off some of Yanu's guys.

Ah, here it is from Max's link:

Quote34 Deputies from Yanukovych party voted with opposition in Parliament @aavst: 34 депутата от партии Регионов голосуют вместе с оппозицией
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 04:25:22 PM
I guess technically a very strong plurality.  Per Wiki his party/front/whatever had nearly 50% and they formed a government together with a handful of unaffiliated members.  I suppose I should've said "government" rather than majority.

Anyway, since there is a fairly sizeable chunk of communists in the parliament whom I'm guessing are not particularly sympathetic  to the main opposition, I'm thinking the opposition peeled off some of Yanu's guys.

Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Of course, it could just be that the good guys are preventing enough bad guy members from approaching the parliament building that the good guys have a majority in the rump parliament.

derspiess

I gotta think Yanu's pretty much done unless the military and/or security forces disobey parliament.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 04:28:28 PM
I gotta think Yanu's pretty much done unless the military and/or security forces disobey parliament.

It sounded like a lot of the military were on the opposition side, or at least were sympathetic. The security forces and thugs will, I think, go with whomever pays them.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
Of course, it could just be that the good guys are preventing enough bad guy members from approaching the parliament building that the good guys have a majority in the rump parliament.

But unless they united all the opposition and pulled over all the non-affiliated members, the bad guy members could have just walked out and prevented the quorum.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 04:31:04 PM
But unless they united all the opposition and pulled over all the non-affiliated members, the bad guy members could have just walked out and prevented the quorum.

:hmm:

Good point.  At least some bad guys had to show up to make a quorum.  Unless the Ukraine has some totally wacked quorum rule, like six guys showing up.

derspiess

More details from Max's link.  Hopefully this is true:

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2014, 04:27:45 PM

Indications are that a sizable number of government MPs have fled the country.

In addition the police have controlled the area around parliament for the last day or two, so unlikely protesters are blocking it.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Did he have a majority?
Well, he re-wrote the constitution to give himself more power, which I imagine even in shitty democracies like Ukraine is hard to do without having a majority in the parliament.

derspiess

Nice find on that link, Max.  All my usual news sources have been crap.

This just popped up there.  A bit chilling, if legit:

Quote2134 GMT: The Russian Foreign Ministry has slammed the "West" and the Maidan "radicals" but has offered to "help" the country of Ukraine:
Russia will extend its helping hand to Ukraine in an effort to normalize the situation in the country, which has been rocked by riots, to the extent welcomed by Kiev, a deputy Russian foreign minister said Thursday after returning from the Ukrainian capital.
"Let's hope that our Ukrainian friends and partners, brothers will normalize the situation at last," Grigory Karasin said. "We will help that to the extent our Ukrainian partners want."

Admiral Yi

Monkeybutt unable to post, no blood left in body above waist.

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 04:46:32 PM
Nice find on that link, Max.  All my usual news sources have been crap.

Seems to be of fairly high quality and with up-to-the-minute updates.

Picked it off a twitter feed on Tuesday. First time I've actually used twitter.

crazy canuck

The no use of guns against Ukranians line was interesting.  The qualification likely means the guns might have to be used against Russians.