And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2014, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 01:36:02 PM
Tarkovsky, Eisenstein, Mayakovsky, Tsvetaeva (both killed themselves, though Mayakovsky may have been assassinated), Isaak Babel (admittedly executed), Lissitzky (died of starvation in Moscow in 41), Ivan Bilibin (ditto in Leningrad in 42). 

Of those I recognized Eisenstein, and he was way overrated.
Your cultural illiteracy isn't my problem.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I just don't get this argument on a basic level.  The Ukraine has some of the most fertile land on the planet.  And it's not even that cold. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 12:41:38 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 12:09:55 PM
AR-Russia has never stood out culturally?

I was referring to the Ukraine, but since Russia is in the same area it is a fair point.

As for the 'Ukraine has never stood out culturally'...

That's because Ukraine, historically, was not a nation.  For the type of high culture you're talking about (music, books, poetry), was made by the elites and for the elites.  And the elites in Ukraine didn't speak Ukrainian - that was a peasant language.  Instead they spoke Polish, or German (and then later on of course they started to speak Russian).

Of course Ukraine has wonderful folk culture and art - the craftmanship to make a pysanky, the Ukrainian easter egg, is remarkable.  But don't expect a bunch of Ukrainian-speaking peasants to start writing operas.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Queequeg

Honestly, how absurd is this argument going to get?  I can name a half dozen European nations that never produced the likes of Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Gogol or Bulgakov, the latter two of whom were "ethnic Ukrainians."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Novels with too many notes are a sign of cultural greatness? OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2014, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 03:33:29 PM

:nerd:
Yes.  Clearly.  Knowledge of art and culture makes one a nerd, while the ignorance of it makes you awesome. 

Queequeg

Though TBH my glasses do actually look like that.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 04:17:42 PM

Yes.  Clearly.  Knowledge of art and culture makes one a nerd, while the ignorance of it makes you awesome. 

I have to side with Spellus on this one. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 04:18:51 PM

You think to be considered culturally literate one has to know who Tsetsefly was? 

I don't know anything about those three guys either.

Queequeg

I think Tarkovsky, Mayakovsky, Malevich and Babel are reasonably well known.  Malevich, Kandinsky and Picasso basically invented modern art between the three of them, and Lissitzky is one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. Admittedly Tsvetaeva might be a bit obscure; maybe Akhmatova and Solzhenitsyn are better examples. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 03:32:40 PM
:hmm:
The Roman Empire?  The Catholic Church?  The free market?  The modern nation state? Liberal democracy?  The corporation?

I don't think that those make the difference when you look at a long enough time frame. Efficient and effective means of organization survive; those that aren't fail. Institutions evolve to meet the needs of society or are discarded. Good ideas travel.

In the short term--or even as long as a century or so--that is a different story.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

QuoteI don't think that those make the difference when you look at a long enough time frame. Efficient and effective means of organization survive; those that aren't fail. Institutions evolve to meet the needs of society or are discarded. Good ideas travel.
Way too teleological. 

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 04:18:51 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 04:17:42 PM

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall