News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 10:42:49 PM
I'm aware that the area has been considered a breakbasket. I'm not an expert on agricultural production, but again, it isn't just about what is happening in a specific place--in the general area, production is less. And for what its worth, the Ukraine is sparsely populated in comparison to Western Europe.

There are 45,000,000 people living in Ukraine. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

And that's despite a middling birth rate after a civil war and two successive attempts at extermination. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2014, 11:24:24 PM
I'm aware that the area has been considered a breakbasket. I'm not an expert on agricultural production, but again, it isn't just about what is happening in a specific place--in the general area, production is less. And for what its worth, the Ukraine is sparsely populated in comparison to Western Europe.

That's sparse by European standards, for a country that size.

Still, agricultural production isn't really relevant in regards to prosperity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Like I said, Ukraine was probably hit as hard as any nation in Europe in the 20th Century.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2014, 11:24:24 PM

According to Wikipedia, that puts that at 115th in population density, and below basically everyone in western europe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on January 28, 2014, 11:05:59 PM
Subsaharan Africa wasn't part of the Mediterranean world, but to act like they didn't have frequent contact with Eurasia is bizarre and impossible to justify.

Parts of it did, most of it didn't.

We can start a big discussion into why a bunch of technological ideas were very late in taking hold throughout Africa, but whether it was relative isolation (what I would argue) or something else, the bulk of the continent severely lagged before colonialization.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Or we could just continue to laugh at your "theory". I pick that option.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on January 28, 2014, 10:54:45 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2014, 06:05:45 PM
I still don't your line of argument here. 

Of course not.

QuoteJust because people get to learn two disparate languages due to living in a bilingual environment doesn't in any way connect these two languages.  People are capable of understanding multiple languages at the same time.

Okay, forget the bilingual part.  I'm just saying that geographical proximity combined with a certain degree of similarity between two languages can make them somewhat mutually intelligible.

I think I gave the example where Portuguese and Spanish have a decent bit of similarity but despite that similarity Portuguese sometimes sounds like gibberish to me.  Yet my wife, who lived close to Brazil for a good portion of her life (and was therefore exposed to Brazilian media) can understand pretty much everything a Portuguese speaker says.
My dad has had a lot of contact with Portuguese speaking immigrants and can understand it pretty well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

I saw this on BBC online and immediately thought of this thread:

QuoteRussian poetry-lover 'stabs' prose champion

A drunken row over the merits of literary forms in Russia ended in a poetry-lover stabbing a champion of prose to death, investigators say.

A 53-year-old man in Irbit, a town in the Sverdlovsk region of the Urals, has been charged with the murder of another man, 67, said to have been a friend.

They were drinking spirits in the friend's flat when he reportedly said only prose was "real literature".

The accused, a former teacher, allegedly stabbed him before fleeing.

Police found him hiding at an acquaintance's house in a nearby village.

According to a local police report, the accused has confessed to the murder and faces a sentence of up to 15 years in prison.

The victim of the attack, which took place on 20 January, had had pieces of his own prose published in a local newspaper.

He was described as someone who had led an "anti-social lifestyle and abused spirits".

The alleged killer had apparently been lodging with him for several months before the fatal dispute.

In September, in the south Russian town of Rostov-on-Don, a reported argument about the philosopher Immanuel Kant ended in an air pistol being fired and one man being injured.

Russia is more like Languish than I had thought...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2014, 01:12:26 AMthe bulk of the continent severely lagged before colonialization.

Same with the Americas.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Speaking of geography though isn't there an argument that I've read somewhere that Russia's problem is that she's the wrong shape. Tsars and Commissars alike were too interested in developing Siberia so spent their resources there which would have been better used on areas more naturally able to sustain humans. Something like that anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

Like how in EU2 I'd go full narrowminded so I could build cities throughout Siberia and the Pacific coast and end up hopelessly behind in tech. :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2014, 01:12:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 28, 2014, 11:05:59 PM
Subsaharan Africa wasn't part of the Mediterranean world, but to act like they didn't have frequent contact with Eurasia is bizarre and impossible to justify.
Parts of it did, most of it didn't.

We can start a big discussion into why a bunch of technological ideas were very late in taking hold throughout Africa, but whether it was relative isolation (what I would argue) or something else, the bulk of the continent severely lagged before colonialization.
The coast of east Africa was pretty well-known by all kinds of mariners in the Indian Ocean.  But it wasn't run over by the continental conquerors that bound Eurasia together (not that they would have been able to engage in a long campaign of conquest in Africa anyways).  Not isolated, but distant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.