News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

This thread makes me want to play an Eastern Front wargame. Something where I get to kill a lot of Russian divisions.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Yes, although there is competition everywhere, including within the state.
Then why didn't the chaos of Africa of the 90s breed competent governments? 

QuoteI think agricultural yield of a region is linked to climate which is linked to population density. Population density is a key component of long term development.
Not sure.  Certain parts of the world have had long-term population density but stilted culturally and economically.  Alternatively, Northern Europe lacks population density but overproduces culturally and economically. 

QuoteI am not up on Icelandic history, but I was under the impression it was a poor country until recent times. Also, an island in the middle of nowhere with all the fishing to yourself kind of takes the place of agriculture, right?
The Danes were kind of dicks, and there was a period of famine after a volcano.  I think it's always been pretty okay, though.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Actually, AR was closer to being right on Iceland.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 06:03:07 PM
Compared to 60s-80s African governments from the 90s on have been pretty competent. The Cold War ending was probably the major factor though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I think that's less Social Darwinism and more social exhaustion and the end of the Cold War. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on January 28, 2014, 06:03:07 PM
Yes, although there is competition everywhere, including within the state.

QuoteI think agricultural yield of a region is linked to climate which is linked to population density. Population density is a key component of long term development.
Not sure.  Certain parts of the world have had long-term population density but stilted culturally and economically.  Alternatively, Northern Europe lacks population density but overproduces culturally and economically. 

QuoteI am not up on Icelandic history, but I was under the impression it was a poor country until recent times. Also, an island in the middle of nowhere with all the fishing to yourself kind of takes the place of agriculture, right?
The Danes were kind of dicks, and there was a period of famine after a volcano.  I think it's always been pretty okay, though.

Spellus, there are obviously more factors behind good government than just competition. However, in the case of Africa, their standards of living have been increasing over the last few decades. I'm not saying they have been getting good government--for example standards seem to have increased even in Somalia during the anarchy period where government effectively collapsed--but they are getting access to western technologies that were not available to them before. It is an unusual and unsustainable situation.

The parts of the world with high population densities in Eurasia are India, China, and Europe. All of those have had historically high cultural and economic production. Outside of Eurasia the same theme has held, even if the regions lagged behind the Eurasian ones (imo because of their isolation). 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Dorsey, why is the first step in your (all-over-the-place) analysis "isolate Eurasia"?  Some inherent attribute due to its "axis"?

And not to repeat Spellus, but you have heard of the Ukraine being considered "the breadbasket" of the region, haven't you?  Comparable to, oh, those other unfortunate, "destined" to lag behind places in North America that produce enormous quantities of cereal grains, far in excess of any of those climactically-blessed places like France, England, um....

You really ought to look up "teleological": it's a word and a concept that's been pretty important among those of us living in cultures that have stood out over the years...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 28, 2014, 10:19:12 PM
Dorsey, why is the first step in your (all-over-the-place) analysis "isolate Eurasia"?  Some inherent attribute due to its "axis"?

And not to repeat Spellus, but you have heard of the Ukraine being considered "the breadbasket" of the region, haven't you?  Comparable to, oh, those other unfortunate, "destined" to lag behind places in North America that produce enormous quantities of cereal grains, far in excess of any of those climactically-blessed places like France, England, um....

You really ought to look up "teleological": it's a word and a concept that's been pretty important among those of us living in cultures that have stood out over the years...

I think the "isolate eurasia" concept is fairly mainstream. The other continents are isolated from each other and both smaller and less diverse. In reality they lagged well behind in development.

I started with the simple concept that the longitudes of western europe are more conducive to producing groundbreaking cultures than the longitudes of the ukraine. Other people started challenging me with a bunch of specific historical examples, as well as hypotheticals. Clearly all history isn't determined by your lines of longitude, so to respond I need to bring in other factors. I don't think that makes it fair to say my analysis all over the place.

I'm aware that the area has been considered a breakbasket. I'm not an expert on agricultural production, but again, it isn't just about what is happening in a specific place--in the general area, production is less. And for what its worth, the Ukraine is sparsely populated in comparison to Western Europe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 10:43:36 PM
Africa is isolated from Eurasia? :huh:

:secret:

Yes. There is the Sahara Desert, and the Sinai Peninsula.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 10:45:15 PM

The Sahara desert doesn't isolate North Africa. I also think you would be hard pressed to point out the Sinai as isolating North Africa throughout history. To cite myself: :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 10:46:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2014, 10:45:15 PM

The Sahara desert doesn't isolate North Africa. I also think you would be hard pressed to point out the Sinai as isolating North Africa throughout history. To cite myself: :mellow:

They certainly isolate. They are real impediments to travel and trade. They aren't absolute barriers, but very significant ones.

garbon

Yes because history has shown that North Africa has not had more than minimal contact with Eurasia. To quote Tamas: :rolleyes:

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 10:53:32 PM
Yes because history has shown that North Africa has not had more than minimal contact with Eurasia. To quote Tamas: :rolleyes:

North Africa has had very signficant contact and has been a part of the Mediterranean world for a long time.

Sub Saharan Africa has not.

Neil

Subsaharan Africa wasn't part of the Mediterranean world, but to act like they didn't have frequent contact with Eurasia is bizarre and impossible to justify.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.