News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on January 27, 2014, 02:20:35 PM
It's the difference between Swiss German and German.
I don't know the difference between Swiss German and German, as I speak neither, but I do know the difference between Russian and Ukrainian.  Those languages are not that close to each other;  I can understand Russian perfectly, but I can understand Ukrainian about as well as I can understand Polish.  Which is to say very poorly.

The Brain

Swiss German is mountainbilly gibberish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
I don't know the difference between Swiss German and German, as I speak neither, but I do know the difference between Russian and Ukrainian.  Those languages are not that close to each other;  I can understand Russian perfectly, but I can understand Ukrainian about as well as I can understand Polish.  Which is to say very poorly.

But you don't live close to Ukraine or Poland.  If you did, I'd imagine you'd be able to understand it better.  FWIW, for an outsider like me Ukrainian and Russian seem to have a lot of similarities.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2014, 02:44:59 PM

But you don't live close to Ukraine or Poland.  If you did, I'd imagine you'd be able to understand it better.  FWIW, for an outsider like me Ukrainian and Russian seem to have a lot of similarities.
And if I lived in China, I would be able to understand Chinese better.  That wouldn't make Chinese similar to Russian.

Razgovory

Dguller was lived in Ukraine in a city close to Polish border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

I don't get why people who don't speak either language are in any position to comment on their similarities or differences.

People I've spoken to who *do* speak these languages tell me they aren't all that similar, a point confirmed by DG here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2014, 02:48:25 PM

Dguller was lived in Ukraine in a city close to Polish border.

For how long?

What comes to mind is how difficult it is for me to understand Portuguese very well, even though it has a decent bit in common with Spanish.  Yet my wife & most other Argies I know can understand nearly all of it, no doubt due to living (or having lived for a good while) so close to Brazil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

There's enough Russians as it is. We don't need to make the Ukes Russians as well.

alfred russel

I wouldn't be suprised if Sarah Palin and Katmai can understand a bit of Russian.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2014, 02:51:07 PM
I don't get why people who don't speak either language are in any position to comment on their similarities or differences.

People I've spoken to who *do* speak these languages tell me they aren't all that similar, a point confirmed by DG here.

There do seem to be other opinions.  Such as...

QuoteAlexander M. Schenker. 1993. "Proto-Slavonic," The Slavonic Languages. (Routledge). Pp. 60-121. Pg. 60: "[The] distinction between dialect and language being blurred, there can be no unanimity on this issue in all instances..."
C.F. Voegelin and F.M. Voegelin. 1977. Classification and Index of the World's Languages (Elsevier). Pg. 311, "In terms of immediate mutual intelligibility, the East Slavic zone is a single language."
Bernard Comrie. 1981. The Languages of the Soviet Union (Cambridge). Pg. 145-146: "The three East Slavonic languages are very close to one another, with very high rates of mutual intelligibility...The separation of Russian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian as distinct languages is relatively recent...Many Ukrainians in fact speak a mixture of Ukrainian and Russian, finding it difficult to keep the two languages apart...

Capetan Mihali

Whoa, one article on Proto-Slavonic, and two from when Ukraine was governed directly from Moscow!  An overwhelming difference of opinion.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 27, 2014, 03:04:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2014, 02:51:07 PM

There do seem to be other opinions.  Such as...

QuoteAlexander M. Schenker. 1993. "Proto-Slavonic," The Slavonic Languages. (Routledge). Pp. 60-121. Pg. 60: "[The] distinction between dialect and language being blurred, there can be no unanimity on this issue in all instances..."
C.F. Voegelin and F.M. Voegelin. 1977. Classification and Index of the World's Languages (Elsevier). Pg. 311, "In terms of immediate mutual intelligibility, the East Slavic zone is a single language."
Bernard Comrie. 1981. The Languages of the Soviet Union (Cambridge). Pg. 145-146: "The three East Slavonic languages are very close to one another, with very high rates of mutual intelligibility...The separation of Russian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian as distinct languages is relatively recent...Many Ukrainians in fact speak a mixture of Ukrainian and Russian, finding it difficult to keep the two languages apart...

The problem is that, whoever wrote these points, they are apparently not true according to people who actually speak the languages.

It is the case that many Ukranians speak both languages. It most definitely not the case that any Ukranian (or anyone else) has trouble keeping the two languages apart, or speaks some mixture of both. It is not the case that that they are easily mutually intelligible.

It may well be the case that the seperation of the languages is relatively recent - on that, I have no idea; nor is it particularly relevant.

If you are citing sources from Wikipedia, might as well look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language#Classification_and_relationship_to_other_languages

Ukranian is far closer to Polish than to Russian.

Vocabulary in common - Russian, 62%; Polish, 70%
Phonetic and Grammatic features in common, out of 82: Russian, 11; Polish, 22.

QuoteIn the 19th century the question of whether Ukrainian, Belarusian and Russian languages are the dialects of a single language or three separate languages was actively discussed and wasn't entirely decided by linguistic factors alone.[8] The political situation (Ukraine and Belarus being mainly a part of Russian Empire that time) and the fact from the history of existence of Kyivan Rus, the medieval state, also occupying the large parts of these tree nations, the common classification known later as East Slavic languages was created. The underlying theory of the East Slavic group of languages to be descended from a common ancestor was produces. Nowadays Ukrainian, Russian, and Belarusian are usually listed by linguists as separate languages.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

Ukrainian and Russian have been constructed as separate languages, but they're also on a linguistic continuum. It seems possible that  those people in central and eastern Ukraine who speak "a mix of Russian and Ukrainian" are actually speaking the same language that their ancestors spoke for centuries -- a dialect somewhere in the transitional zone between the two.

Edit: I can continue to provide unsupported linguistic speculation all day.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2014, 03:20:00 PM
The problem is that, whoever wrote these points, they are apparently not true according to people who actually speak the languages.

Do your examples live in Ukraine?  I've only heard from DG, and he hasn't lived all his life there.

QuoteIf you are citing sources from Wikipedia, might as well look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language#Classification_and_relationship_to_other_languages

Ukranian is far closer to Polish than to Russian.

Vocabulary in common - Russian, 62%; Polish, 70%
Phonetic and Grammatic features in common, out of 82: Russian, 11; Polish, 22.

62% ain't bad.