News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 19, 2014, 01:58:21 PM
With the exception of Israel, has that happened at all since WWII, disputed territories notwithstanding?

East Timor, Hong Kong

I think Morocco annexed Mauritania, didn't it?

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:43:20 PM
Yeah.  :( It's pretty clear that Yanukovich went all-in for the military solution to the problem.  It seems like large-scale military defections are the only realistic hope for the protesters.

Has he gotten the military involved yet, or is he still using the Berkut-type guys for his "anti-terrorist operations"?
As far as I can tell, not yet, but he declared that the army is preparing for the "anti-terrorist" campaign, and the army chief was replaced just now.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 12:59:45 PM
The problem with the last option is that the weak client state will still have Lviv to contend with.  It took even Stalin years to subjugate the area.  A city like Lviv is exactly what you don't want to own if your country's government is teetering on the edge of losing legitimacy.

Why was Stalin so insistent on folding Lviv into Ukraine instead of leaving it in Poland?

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 01:45:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 01:40:46 PM
I'll admit I have very limited knowledge on the subject-- just going by what I've gathered from the news & other sources over the past few years.  Do you know of any legit opinion polls or anything that disprove the notion that the southern and eastern parts of Ukraine (and roughly half the population) is pro-Russia?
You are falling into the Kremlin's trap and conflating multiple different concepts.  The eastern part is definitely more pro-Russia than the western part, but to make a leap of faith that they would favor the breakup of the country and being effectively absorbed into Russia is a stretch.

I had no idea if there's any real desire among Ukrainians to split the country. I tended to doubt it but that's just my feeling without a strong understanding of the attitudes there.  I'm assuming the east isn't all that willing to become a Russian satellite either, not sure on that. If so it would make the play by the current government leaders for that to be going so much more against the population's views than just many in the west of the country. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 02:01:15 PM
With the exception of Israel, has that happened at all since WWII, disputed territories notwithstanding?

East Timor, Hong Kong

South Vietnam, Goa, East Germany and South Yemen as well
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
As far as I can tell, not yet, but he declared that the army is preparing for the "anti-terrorist" campaign, and the army chief was replaced just now.

That's not a good sign, then.  I think he was the dude making statements to the effect that he didn't want the military to move against civilians.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2014, 02:35:03 PM
South Vietnam, Goa, East Germany and South Yemen as well

Check out the big brain on Razz!

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2014, 02:01:15 PM

East Timor, Hong Kong

Indonesia also gobbled up West Papua, and India invaded Hyderabad and Goa.

Morocco annexed Western Sahara, not Mauritania.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Yeah, Mauritania is still an independent country :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 19, 2014, 02:07:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2014, 12:59:45 PM
The problem with the last option is that the weak client state will still have Lviv to contend with.  It took even Stalin years to subjugate the area.  A city like Lviv is exactly what you don't want to own if your country's government is teetering on the edge of losing legitimacy.

Why was Stalin so insistent on folding Lviv into Ukraine instead of leaving it in Poland?
My guess is because it was a culturally Ukrainian city.  The Interwar Poles did not treat Galicia well either, and did not consider it their core territory, though in hindsight they turned out to be somewhat more benign masters than the Soviets.

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 12:32:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2014, 09:32:30 AM
Time to armor up my RV to run the nuclear ravaged roads of America.

What was the name of that show?

Damnation Alley
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2014, 03:11:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2014, 12:32:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2014, 09:32:30 AM
Time to armor up my RV to run the nuclear ravaged roads of America.

What was the name of that show?

Damnation Alley

Bless you and your knowledge of 80s shows.