News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2014, 09:25:52 PM
It's Ukraine.  Someone will beat me to it.
While it is true that an average Ukrainian will experience a contract killing at least once in their lifetime, high level politicians are more protected than most.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

On the Interpreter blog it sounds like the government recaptured two of the stolen APCs.  So there's that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Ukrainian government plans to enshrine special status for the Russian language. Also, they promise much more autonomy for the regions.

The militants in the East meanwhile refuse to lay down arms or vacate any captured buildings, citing that they don't consider Russia's signature under the Geneva accord binding. They will only be content if the illegal government in Kiev steps down and parliament is dissolved.

And Die Zeit just posted news that actually made me laugh out loud: the Russians say the next step has to come from the Ukrainians. "Of course, when we talk about disarmament we mean first and foremost the Right Sector and other Fascist militias who participated in the February coup. Furthermore, the supporters of the pro-West protests need to leave any public buildings that they're occupying." No pressure on the protesters on the East.

I think this is what's generally called "taking the piss."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Ok, so Putin won this one. Ukraine existing at this time next year will be an achievement.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

From the BBC:

QuoteA statement from the Donetsk separatists said "we cannot accept the values of the Kiev junta, we have our heroic past going back to World War Two, we are the Russian bear which is waking up".

It added: "Don't worry, everything will stay peaceful and orderly. The only problem is if the Kiev junta want war."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
From the BBC:

QuoteA statement from the Donetsk separatists said "we cannot accept the values of the Kiev junta, we have our heroic past going back to World War Two, we are the Russian bear which is waking up".

It added: "Don't worry, everything will stay peaceful and orderly. The only problem is if the Kiev junta want war."

Putin needs the upcoming Uke elections to be utterly invalid. Hence the charade of diplomatic negotiations/peace in our time while facts are made on the ground.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

I can relax now, phew!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Anyone know if the People's Republic of Donetsk has issued any postage stamps yet?  I'm asking for a friend.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2014, 01:15:29 PM
Anyone know if the People's Republic of Donetsk has issued any postage stamps yet?  I'm asking for a friend.

You can't stay friends with a woman.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Grinning_Colossus

I have the Abkhazian Groucho Marx and John Lennon stamp. :) I doubt these guys will have such a sense of humor.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2014, 02:01:34 PM

I find it not too difficult  if she's  married  and you know and like her husband.  :)

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2014, 02:52:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2014, 02:01:34 PM

I find it not too difficult  if she's  married  and you know and like her husband.  :)

Good point. 

The Brain

Anyone have a friend I can have? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.