News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

:hmm: I don't know if that denial makes my odds worse or better.

Syt

QuoteFrance's foreign minister, Laurent Fabius said that the EU wanted to see a de-escalation - meaning a return of Russian troops to their bases in Crimea - between now and Thursday.

"If there is not in the coming hours a very quick de-escalation, then we will decide concrete measures such as the suspension of all talks on visas, suspension of economic agreements and concretely that means that ties will be cut on lot of subjects,"

"There could be targeted measures and that can also affect people, officials and their assets,"

"We are extremely worried. The general tone is that the Russians appear to have decided to go even further. Europe must be firm."

When asked whether the EU could put sanctions on Russian individuals, including Putin, Fabius said there was a precedent last week when the EU agreed to sanction former Ukranian President Viktor Yanukovich and officials close to him.

"Similar decisions could be taken,"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2014, 02:44:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 03, 2014, 02:00:23 AM
WTF Tim.

Hey 11Beebop, Did you know that Battlefront was making a Combat Mission game about a near future war in Ukraine?

QuoteOur return to modern warfare is long overdue! Given how close Shock Force 1 was at predicting a conventional conflict in Syria, we're a little nervous about choosing a topic this time around. Especially because we've chosen to simulate a full spectrum conventional conflict between NATO and Russia in the Ukraine. This gives players a rich tactical environment to explore with the most advanced militaries the world has ever seen. Having said that, we hope the politicians aren't insane enough to try it for real. Even thought this is great stuff for a game, it's the last thing this world needs in real life.

This was back in 2012. :lol:

No I didnt. Good call on them... :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I wonder if after the fall of Yanukovych Putin may just have decided that there's no way of gainfully cooperating with the West and therefore dropped all pretense at playing nice. It would fit well with all the rhetoric of Russia being the last bastion of virtue and values.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

QuoteBREAKING: Our man in Moscow Howard Amos says that the Russian government has denied reports of an ultimatum issued to the Ukraine:

The Russian Defense Ministry has dismissed claims that an ultimatum to surrender has been issued to Ukrainian armed forces in Crimea.
A Defense Ministry spokesperson described the reports of an ultimatum as "complete nonsense," according to Russian business daily Vedomosti.

:showoff:

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not sure I agree with the sanctions against Putin personally--all the other oligarchs and high regime officials who aren't already impacted by the Magnitsky Act, yes. But part of me believes the general decorum given for Heads of State should persist even in this case.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 12:47:28 PM
QuoteBREAKING: Our man in Moscow Howard Amos says that the Russian government has denied reports of an ultimatum issued to the Ukraine:

The Russian Defense Ministry has dismissed claims that an ultimatum to surrender has been issued to Ukrainian armed forces in Crimea.
A Defense Ministry spokesperson described the reports of an ultimatum as "complete nonsense," according to Russian business daily Vedomosti.

:showoff:
:yeah:

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 03, 2014, 12:48:10 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the sanctions against Putin personally--all the other oligarchs and high regime officials who aren't already impacted by the Magnitsky Act, yes. But part of me believes the general decorum given for Heads of State should persist even in this case.
Why not sanctions against every Russian citizen in the world?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 03, 2014, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 03, 2014, 12:48:10 PM
Why not sanctions against every Russian citizen in the world?

It would be like the good old days except this time it would be the West keeping the Russians out rather than Russia keeping them in.

As an added bonus travel in Europe would become a lot more pleasant.

Solmyr

The Mayor of Tallinn (leader of the largest party in Estonia) said that the government in Kiev was "put in place by people with baseball bats" and is unable to solve the crisis. Say hello to your NATO friends. :P

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

Not until we also ban Germans.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on March 03, 2014, 01:10:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

Not until we also ban Germans.

I said a lot more pleasant - not ideal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 03, 2014, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 03, 2014, 12:21:31 PM
But who has more polar bears?

Canada. According to the WWF, World population is 20-25k, 15k are located in Canada.

Not for much longer.  Polar bear cub mortality rates have gone up to 25% over the last 7 years.  Enjoy them while they last, before they all finally drown, starve and fade away.