The Evil That Are Wires - old vs new technology

Started by mongers, December 01, 2013, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'm 29 years old, that should answer most of your questions.

On OTA TV.

For the entirety of my life, except 3 months, my family has been cable subscribers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 02, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
The modern age and I have grown apart.  Its not the modern age, its me.  I dont twitter with excitement at reading what others might be writing in 60 characters or less.  I dont follow anyone.  My only books are those on the shelf and I dont own one book of faces.  I am not linked into anything.  I grudgingly used my cell phone which was acquired for me against my will.

I do however, from time to time, play computer games.  It was the one and only time I was an early adopter.  That of course is what brought me here.  I will leave it to you dear reader whether that was the wise path.

I've spoken at great length here regarding the reliability, resiliency and outright necessity of older, low-end "wired" technology from both personal and, more importantly, professional perspectives.
But, since half of Languish is a collection of Millennial Assburgers that can't do shit without texting a twitter to their MyFace pages, and the other half are high priests clothed in the alleged infallibility of the one true church of our time, The IT Dept, I'm just the grumpy old guy that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Everybody enjoy losing all your shit when the weight of our soulless technopoly finally collapses upon itself.  1000110101011000LOL

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 09:40:22 PM
I've spoken at great length here regarding the reliability, resiliency and outright necessity of older, low-end "wired" technology from both personal and, more importantly, professional perspectives.
But, since half of Languish is a collection of Millennial Assburgers that can't do shit without texting a twitter to their MyFace pages, and the other half are high priests clothed in the alleged infallibility of the one true church of our time, The IT Dept, I'm just the grumpy old guy that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Everybody enjoy losing all your shit when the weight of our soulless technopoly finally collapses upon itself.  1000110101011000LOL
You can say that about almost every technological advance.  Almost all of them add complicated modes of failure that didn't exist before.  Hunter-gatherer societies couldn't have a 9/11, because they had neither skyscrapers nor planes.  I'd still choose to live in our society.  Reliability should be considered, but unless you're talking about a super-critical function, it should be just part of the equation.

Ed Anger

DG is still dialing those numbers from the Telefon book.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Fucker probably doesn't even know how to use an abacus.

Ed Anger

He can plot a rolling barrage for his Russian masters though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 09:55:41 PM
Fucker probably doesn't even know how to use an abacus.
:lmfao: When I was little, everyone in Soviet Union knew how to use an abacus.  That was one of the basic life skills.  We didn't yet have calculators or electronic registers widely available.

Josquius

Twitter.... Now despite social media and all that jazz being an area of interest for me I've just never got twitter. I've never saw the point if you're not a celebrity or company.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 10:00:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 09:56:17 AM
If Wi-Fi waves are not recommended, then I must say it is too late for us, as radio signals has been around for quite a while.  :huh:

I don't think anybody's not recommending Wi-Fi waves, Beetle Bailey.

Quote from: DuqueAs for wireless I don't like it that much, specially in a bed room since these waves are not recommended. I still use it in other places but prefer a wired connection which has better performance anyways.

Helps if you read posts, old man. :P

It's not like the Duque is a Subject Matter Expert on the safety of wireless transmissions.  You take everything an Eggplant spits out as authoritative, you filthy fucking gypsy?

Wow, a bit of selective quoting on Languish!  :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_electronic_devices_and_health

QuoteIn 2011, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), an agency of the World Health Organization, classified wireless radiation as Group 2B - possibly carcinogenic. That means that there "could be some risk" of carcinogenicity, so additional research into the long-term, heavy use of wireless devices needs to be conducted.[5]

Anecdotal evidence I know, but I sleep better without an active Wi-Fi connection the bedroom. Not to mention again a WIRED optical fiber beats the hell out of it performance-wise see ping and lack of lag.

Asbestos as in insulation had also been around for quite a while, guess what happened when the cover-up failed to work. Hopefully, only excess Wi-fi will have to be curtailed.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2013, 10:00:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 09:56:17 AM
If Wi-Fi waves are not recommended, then I must say it is too late for us, as radio signals has been around for quite a while.  :huh:

I don't think anybody's not recommending Wi-Fi waves, Beetle Bailey.

Quote from: DuqueAs for wireless I don't like it that much, specially in a bed room since these waves are not recommended.

Helps if you read posts, old man. :P

It's not like the Duque is a Subject Matter Expert on the safety of wireless transmissions.  You take everything an Eggplant spits out as authoritative, you filthy fucking gypsy?

That`s what I was telling him, you warmongerworsethanhitler Yankee bastard.

CountDeMoney

Enjoy walking around in your tinfoil hat, Duck.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
When did you last use a 'regular' land-line telephone ?

A few minutes ago.  I have one both at home and at my desk at work.

QuoteHow many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ?

A few times a day.

QuoteWhen was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ?

Last month?  Pretty recently I still send and receive faxes from time to time.

QuoteWhen did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ?

Um...1985?

QuoteDo you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?

When I used those one time use camera things at somebody's wedding two years ago.  Probably about four years since I had film processed though I have some really old film that needs to be developed so maybe I will again soon.

QuoteWhen did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ?

Print photos?  I have Walgreens do that if I need it done.

QuoteDo you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?

I only had 'terrestrial' TV when I was single at my apartment.  All that computer game playing made it a waste of time.  I went to cable when I moved in with my future wife in 2008.

QuoteDo you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ?

Yes, in my car.

QuoteIf you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?

When I left my thieving ex back in 2005 I had to take her car since she was not making payments on it and I stupidly signed on the loan.  I had to get rid of my beloved old school car and go to one with all the modern shit that makes it completely incomprehensible to me how it works.

QuoteWhen was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ?

Um...a few months ago?  We have a vinyl record player and I still have cassettes.

QuoteWhen did you last play a team sport vs playing a sports game on a console/pc ?

I don't play sports games.  I last played a team sport when I was in my softball league back in 2009, no time with school/work/kids these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

What's so bad about wires, the trend now seems to be wireless almost everywhere ?
Well, wires are annoying.

Last week-end.

How many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ?
often.

When was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ?
Yesterday.

When did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ?
Many years ago.

Do you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?
Many years ago, many more years than the last question :P

When did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ?
Sometime in the last 2-3 years, as a demonstration of the capacity of a new printer.

QuoteDo you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?
Cable since c.a. 1986-1988, when our antenna crashed after an ice storm and the costs to have it replaced was insane.
Satellite tv since c.a. 1998, about the time I went alone in an appartment.

Do you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ?
I own but I do not actively use it.  The cleaning lady uses it.

If you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?
I'm not good at mechanics, so I wouldn't really know... I think the first car I drove had an electronic engine management.

When was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ?
I think I was in high school then :D

When did you last play a team sport vs playing a sports game on a console/pc ?
many years on both account, I haven't been much in shape for a while, haven't done many team sports, and I hate playing these on PC or consoles.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

What's so bad about wires, the trend now seems to be wireless almost everywhere ?
Wires get in the way.
From my own point of view, this largely adds another layer of complexity that I'm unlikely to use, so a wireless computer printer is lost on the likes of me.
Wireless removes complexity
This made me think about ones use of new vs more mature/obsolete technology, so a few questions:

Probably about 8 years ago
How many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ?
regularly
When was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ?
Several years ago. The previous time was several years before that
When did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ?
9th grade?
Do you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?
never
When did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ?
practically never. I may have done this a time or two on regular printer paper if that counts
Do you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?
Not sure what you mean by terrestrial television. I don't think I've ever watched any amount of TV that wasn't cable.
Do you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ?
There's one in the car. I get subjected to it from time to time.
If you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?
Probably never
When was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ?
Never
When did you last play a team sport vs playing a sports game on a console/pc ?
Never for either.