The Evil That Are Wires - old vs new technology

Started by mongers, December 01, 2013, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What's so bad about wires, the trend now seems to be wireless almost everywhere ?

From my own point of view, this largely adds another layer of complexity that I'm unlikely to use, so a wireless computer printer is lost on the likes of me.

This made me think about ones use of new vs more mature/obsolete technology, so a few questions:

When did you last use a 'regular' land-line telephone ?

How many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ?

When was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ?

When did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ?

Do you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?

When did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ?

Do you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?

Do you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ?

If you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?

When was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ?

When did you last play a team sport vs playing a sports game on a console/pc ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
What's so bad about wires, the trend now seems to be wireless almost everywhere ?

They are a pain in the ass, and limit your ability to connect things to a physical medium. That being said, sometimes they are still better than the alternative.

From my own point of view, this largely adds another layer of complexity that I'm unlikely to use, so a wireless computer printer is lost on the likes of me.

This made me think about ones use of new vs more mature/obsolete technology, so a few questions:

Today.

Constantly.

Several years.

Decades.
Do you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?

No. A decade, maybe more.

Never.

Do you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?

I bounce between cable and dish every few years.

Only in my car.

If you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?

I don't know, I try not to open the hood if I can avoid it.

20 years?

Last year, hurt my back playing basketball, haven't played since.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Berkut, thanks for the reply, I hadn't expect answers to all questions, in retrospect it looks like I constructed a survey.

Really I'm more interesting in peoples musings on the part modern technology plays in their lives. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Wireless is more convenient (and no tangles). Don't fear progress mongers, it leads to grey hairs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

I fax something once a month or so. 

We have a land line. 
I use a PC linked printer fairly frequently.

Wireless has some security problems, but it is much easier to use the multitude of devices floating around without running wires all ovr the place.
PDH!

dps

I use one at work all the time.  Well, actually, I don't have to use the phone at work all that often, but it is a land-line, and I have to use it a few times a week.

Several times a day.

3 or 4 years ago.

Stand-alone electric, maybe 10 years ago.  Manual, probably 25 years ago.

Yes, though I almost never actually take any pictures (never have done so).

Photos, as opposed to documents?  Don't think I've ever printed out any.

I've never not had cable or satelite since I left home.  I think the last year that I lived at home and we didn't have cable was maybe 1973 or so.

Yes. 

When I blew the engine on my '76 Plymouth, so about 1993.

Vinyl, about a year (the turntable died and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, or I'd still be using it regularly.  Maybe someone will take a hint and I'll get a new turntable for Christmas).  Cassettes I still use occasionally.

Kicked around a soccer ball with family this summer, though I couldn't really say we actually played a match or anything.  I've never really played in any organized league except for church-league softball in the early-mid 80s.

DGuller

They're of limited length (usually about a foot too short).  They limit the number of ways you can lay out all the peripherals that need to be connected.  They become a tangled mess when you use enough of them in the same space.  They can be tripped over.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Today.

QuoteHow many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ?

Every day.

QuoteWhen was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ?

18 months ago, when I had one in my office when I had an office when I had a job.

QuoteWhen did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ?

This week.

QuoteDo you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ?

Yes, I have a 35mm Nikon, but haven't had film developed for it in about a year.

QuoteWhen did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ?

I don't think I have.

QuoteDo you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ?

I used all forms of television technology to supplement each other in the glorious cornucopia of modern viewing options.

QuoteDo you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ?

Of course, my AM/FM clock radio with optional iPod player, or in my car.  How the hell else am I going to listen to the nitwits on sports talk radio bitch, or for traffic in the AM?

QuoteIf you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could possible maintain/repair yourself ?

Not since my '74 Monte Carlo, which died in Luray, Virginia, May of 1992.  I miss her dearly.   But one day I will get a classic car, come hell or high water.  I'm a little behind schedule, but that's why I had skipped the whole wife and kids bit in the first place.

QuoteWhen was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ?

Vinyl, a couple weeks ago;  a cassette player, I have a couple different models, both regular and micro, but haven't used them in a while.

QuoteWhen did you last play a team sport vs playing a sports game on a console/pc ?

Back when I was young enough to do it, Mongers.  My knees are 43 years old too, you know.  Silly question.

11B4V

What's so bad about wires, the trend now seems to be wireless almost everywhere ? Nothing

When did you last use a 'regular' land-line telephone ? Daily. If I could I would get a rotary phone for the house.

How many time/how often have you used a cellphone/mobile ? Only at work

When was the last time you used a fax machine or sent a fax ? Today

When did you last use a manual or stand alone electronic typewriter ? Long time

Do you still use a film camera, if not when was the last time you had a film processed ? No

When did you last print photos on a pc linked printer ? Never

Do you watch 'terrestrial' television, if not when did you move to cable/digital/on-line viewing ? What?

Do you own and actively use any form of FM/AM radio ? Yes

If you drive, when was the last time you regularly used a car without electronic engine management ie a regular 'analogue' ignition system like carbs that you could
possible maintain/repair yourself ? I own two

When was the last time you played a vinyl record or used a cassette player ? Long time

I dont play gay "team sports console/pc games.

There is a lot of team sports at my job.  ;) 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Last Tuesday night.  That was probably the first time in years though.
Constantly.

c. 2008.  I do scan documents and email them to myself using an office fax fairly often however.
c. 1992
No.  c. 1990.
About 6 months ago.
No.  I don't watch TV at all unless you could clips on YouTube.
In my car, but I mostly listen to satellite radio in the car.
No clue.  Definitely not since 2008.
Vinyl has probably not been since the mid 1980s.  My old car had a cassette player I used on occasion... ditched it in 2008.
I'm not a "team player".  :P  Probably not since high school.  Not a huge fan of sports video games, either.  Last one I played might have been Joe Montana Football for the Genesis.  "It's beginning to... rain.  It's beginning to... snow."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Not going to answer them all... just the ones that amuse me.

Faxing is weirdly prevalent in the lawyering business.  So I send and receive faxes all the time.  The weird thing is that on our end the faxes don't get printed - rather they are converted into PDFs and sent to my email.

As for team sport - I curl every week. :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I still have my old cassettes. Won't throw them away either.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Word processing is an unambiguous improvement over using a typewriter.