Ron Burgundy covers the Canadian Olympic Curling qualifiers

Started by Barrister, December 01, 2013, 05:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Man o man - crazy game between Glenn Howard and Kevin Martin last night.  Howard, who is no slouch with 4 Canadian and 4 world championships, was leading in the 9th end when he somehow allowed Kevin Martin (who won the 2010 gold at the Olympics) to score 4 in a come from behind victory.

Don't suppose anyone else is watching any of this?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2013, 11:11:51 AM
Don't suppose anyone else is watching any of this?

According to you, slightly more than those who watch the CFL.

So, yeah, your conclusion is valid. :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2013, 08:57:04 AM
Apparently Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind will be guest hosting ESPN's 6pm SportsCenter tomorrow.

I think that movie needs to make two hundred million just to cover the promotional costs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 05, 2013, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2013, 08:57:04 AM
Apparently Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind will be guest hosting ESPN's 6pm SportsCenter tomorrow.

I think that movie needs to make two hundred million just to cover the promotional costs.

Why?  All of this kind of stuff (doing the Road of the Rings, hosting SportsCentre) is completely free.

Now they have been buying paid ads too, but seem to be relying a lot on free/viral media.

Eddie Teach

Ferrell, Carrel and co. don't work for free. ;)

I was exaggerating, of course.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2013, 11:31:57 AM
Here's the TSN average audience for hockey, CFL and the Brier (Men's national Championship).

NHL 707,000.

Brier 685,000.

CFL 637,000

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/08/curling-continues-ratings-climb-at-brier

The NHL championship* only draws in 70,000 more Canadians than the curling championship, and the CFL championship draws in even fewer than the curling championship?  I am:  astonished.

* I know you would never compare an apple like a regular-season NHL game to an orange like a championship curling competition, so assume you used championship numbers for both hockey and curling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

I'm sure the promotional stuff was written into their contracts.  And if any of them are getting a small cut, it's in their interest to promote it anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2013, 02:04:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2013, 11:31:57 AM
Here's the TSN average audience for hockey, CFL and the Brier (Men's national Championship).

NHL 707,000.

Brier 685,000.

CFL 637,000

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/08/curling-continues-ratings-climb-at-brier

The NHL championship* only draws in 70,000 more Canadians than the curling championship, and the CFL championship draws in even fewer than the curling championship?  I am:  astonished.

* I know you would never compare an apple like a regular-season NHL game to an orange like a championship curling competition, so assume you used championship numbers for both hockey and curling.

:huh:

The article itself explains what those numbers are for.  The NHL and CFL numbers are for the season average.  For TSN (the cable channel involved) the NHL numbers include some early round playoffs, but not the finals.  The CFL numbers include the playoffs and the Grey Cup, but are the average of the entire season.

And you'd have to know what the Brier (Men's national championship) is like.  Yes, it is a championship.  But it is a championship selected coming out of a 12-team round robin tournament.  The tournament is played over an 8 day period, with two or three draws (set of games) per day, with multiple games being played at the same time on the same sheet of ice.  So the brier number is the average for all of those games, and is not the number for the final championship game itself.  Essentially they play an entire "season" of curling in just over one week.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 05, 2013, 02:12:09 PM
  Essentially they play an entire "season" of curling in just over one week.

Sounds exhausting.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 05, 2013, 02:15:46 PM
  Essentially they play an entire "season" of curling in just over one week.

Sounds exhausting.

I imagine it would be.  I've played in bonspeils (curling tournaments) where you play 5 games in 2-3 days, and it's surprisingly tough.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The article itself explains what those numbers are for.  The NHL and CFL numbers are for the season average.  For TSN (the cable channel involved) the NHL numbers include some early round playoffs, but not the finals.  The CFL numbers include the playoffs and the Grey Cup, but are the average of the entire season.

And you'd have to know what the Brier (Men's national championship) is like.  Yes, it is a championship.  But it is a championship selected coming out of a 12-team round robin tournament.  The tournament is played over an 8 day period, with two or three draws (set of games) per day, with multiple games being played at the same time on the same sheet of ice.  So the brier number is the average for all of those games, and is not the number for the final championship game itself.  Essentially they play an entire "season" of curling in just over one week.

In other words, those numbers are bogus.  :lol:

If you want to argue that the Brier numbers represent a playoff, rather than a championship game, then that seems supported by the evidence.  They certainly don't represent the equivalent of a regular season plus a playoff, and thus the comparison artificially inflated the curling numbers... unless one is interested only in the numbers of people watching these sports on a single network under some random set of circumstances, which produces no numbers that anyone should care about.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2013, 02:32:25 PM

In other words, those numbers are bogus.  :lol:

If you want to argue that the Brier numbers represent a playoff, rather than a championship game, then that seems supported by the evidence.  They certainly don't represent the equivalent of a regular season plus a playoff, and thus the comparison artificially inflated the curling numbers... unless one is interested only in the numbers of people watching these sports on a single network under some random set of circumstances, which produces no numbers that anyone should care about.

The numbers are what they are. :mellow:

It was all spelled out in the article.  They are of course comparing apples to oranges.  They also pointed out that in curling many of the draws are mid-day, mid week which is tough to compare to hockey or football which are exclusively played in prime time or weekends.  Hockey and curling to a lesser extent are also covered on other networks, with differing broadcast reach.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
It's the Final, damn it. No s.

In several professional, non-collegiate sports (basketball, baseball and hockey come to mind readily) the champion is decided by a series of games rather than by one game. Thus, "finals" is a pretty common term, often misused, but probably understandably so.
and the horse you rode in on

Grey Fox

Quote from: fhdz on December 05, 2013, 09:25:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
It's the Final, damn it. No s.

In several professional, non-collegiate sports (basketball, baseball and hockey come to mind readily) the champion is decided by a series of games rather than by one game. Thus, "finals" is a pretty common term, often misused, but probably understandably so.

Yes, however, it's the Stanley Cup Final.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.