News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2013

Started by PDH, November 09, 2013, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 20, 2014, 11:27:29 AM
TWC has the LHN.  Or it does in Texas, I figured it would one of those fancy specialty sports stations outside of Texas but I guess not.

I think it's just inside Texas on TWC.  Maybe Oklahoma too.

Sophie Scholl

Fucking basketball.  There is so much damn crying and bitching here over the Syracuse - Duke finish it's insane.  You want to blame someone, Cuse fans?  Don't blame the ref who had to make a bang bang call, blame your coach for losing his shit and rushing the court.  Boeheim is always on the court and bitching, he finally got called on it.  Seems reasonable.  I just wish it wasn't against Duke, as I loathe them as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

That Boeheim technical was awesome.  I loved the slo mo footage of the ref staring him down as he tosses him.

As for the call, I think it would have made for a better no call (and not just because of the game situation) but NOT a blatantly wrong call.

Berkut

That cannot possibly be a no-call. Way too much contact.

That is either a block or a charge. A no-call is a no-balls call.

I think you can defend either call, even with the new rules, it is another of those bang-bang block/charge calls that can go either way - it is certainly the case that the official who made the call had a hell of a lot better look at it than Boeheim.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The case for the no call is the Orangemen man-boy (I think it was Pharr) was mostly jumping vertically.  He didn't really run through the defender.  It was actually an incredibly athletic play.

Which is not so my pleasure at Boeheim's ejection is diminished in any way.  Syracuse may have jumped ship to the ACC, but I still get a lot of pleasure out of seeing them lose.  Plus Boeheim looks a terrible coach to play for: a vinagery old sourpuss who's constantly bitching at his players.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2014, 09:18:16 PM
That cannot possibly be a no-call. Way too much contact.

That is either a block or a charge. A no-call is a no-balls call.

I think you can defend either call, even with the new rules, it is another of those bang-bang block/charge calls that can go either way - it is certainly the case that the official who made the call had a hell of a lot better look at it than Boeheim.

Its a tough call that really depends on what angle you have and what you are focusing on in the instant it happens.  At a tournament I was at the other week one ref emphatically called a block and the other just as emphatically called a charge - at the same time.  A bit embarrassing for them both.

As a player I thought the refs normally got it right; there are times when it could go either way and then there are those times when everyone knows the ref blew the call and there is a makeup coming...

sbr

The Jim Boeheim memes are outstanding.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/2/23/5439322/jim-boeheim-ejection-meme-jacket-syracuse-coach

That sight doesn't have the ski jump on, which is my second favorite, behind the Michael Jackson one.

grumbler

Michigan is really peaking at the right time.  In tonight's game they scored a higher percentage of 3-pointers (16 out of 23, or 70%) than Illinois did free throws (11 out of 16, or 69%)! 

Illinois scored the same number of points (53) tonight as they did Saturday at Michigan State.  With that score they beat State by 7 and lost to Michigan by 31.

And with that, Michigan wins its first outright Big Ten title since the 85-86 season. Man, that was a long drought!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2014, 09:26:16 AM
Some dude had it on ustream but it got taken down early in the 2nd half.  WVU was well behind at that point, so I guess I had seen enough.  WVU is looking like an NIT team and I'm okay with that as long as they make a good run in it.

It looks like everybody who has Dish network will be getting the LHN soon so if this ever happens again you could just go to a bar or a friend's house or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

ESPN seems to really go after the streams of LHN (and probably all their other streams too, although I've never tried to watch an "illegal" stream of one of those). 

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2014, 09:18:07 PM
Michigan is really peaking at the right time.  In tonight's game they scored a higher percentage of 3-pointers (16 out of 23, or 70%) than Illinois did free throws (11 out of 16, or 69%)! 

Illinois scored the same number of points (53) tonight as they did Saturday at Michigan State.  With that score they beat State by 7 and lost to Michigan by 31.

And with that, Michigan wins its first outright Big Ten title since the 85-86 season. Man, that was a long drought!

Agreed.

I am very impressed with how Stauskas has improved his game on both ends of the court.  You have to like a guy that can penetrate, pull up and hit the midrange jumper.  We dont see that in many players these days.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 05, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
ESPN seems to really go after the streams of LHN (and probably all their other streams too, although I've never tried to watch an "illegal" stream of one of those). 

Remember when Chris Plonsky was freaking out about the streams during the 2011 season when the LHN just started?  That was hilarious.  It made me feel even more smug about my illegal streaming. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Arizona is looking really, really good right now. They certainly had a bit of a stumble after Ashley was lost, but since then have recovered their offensive mojo to go along with just a ridiculously amazing defense.

Interesting bit of controversy going around about the supposed animosity between Arizona/Sean Miller and the Pac-12 staff/Larry Scott. Scott didn't show up to the Arizona Stanford game to present the Pac-12 title trophy to Arizona when they clinched, nor did anyone from the conference attend the game.

Apparently there is still quite a bit of bad blood between Miller and Scott as part of the fallout from RushGate last year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2014, 12:31:07 PM
just a ridiculously amazing defense.

I like watching them for this very reason.

sbr

Woo Hoo!! Suck it Berkut and the Wildcats!! Go Ducks!!

[spoiler]I had no idea this game was even happening until I saw the final score on the Yahoo page. [/spoiler]