The Post-Anti-Biotic Future is "a very real possibility"

Started by Jacob, May 05, 2014, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 05, 2014, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2014, 02:24:12 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 05, 2014, 02:18:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2014, 01:59:04 PM
Yikes, I can't imagine what it would be like to suffer through cold without taking anti-biotics during the worst couple of days.  I hate it when stupid people ruin it for everyone.

Just checking, you are being sarcastic right? Because Antibiotics Can't Treat the Common Cold: Antibiotics fight bacteria-related illnesses. Colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics won't help a cold.

:frusty:

I think you and Viking missed the joke.

Only Viking missed the joke.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

The last time I had anti-biotics was when the cat bit me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2014, 01:57:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2014, 01:51:45 PM
QuoteBut there's a twist: when you are prescribed antibiotics, you should take all of them — every last pill. While it might seem sensible to stop taking the pills when you feel better, it increases the chances that bacteria are still alive in your body and will survive and multiply, spreading their resistance to future generations.

Oh hell that is probably not going to happen.  Let's hope doctors really push for it because I don't think anybody does that.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 05, 2014, 02:42:38 PM
The last time I had anti-biotics was when the cat bit me.

I'm on penicillin right now for the bout of strep throat that kicked my ass for a couple days last week.  Three more days to go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

I am not sure which one I am worried about more, the acidification of the oceans or this.  Thanks for brightening my day Jacob.

Monoriu

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/1/5669526/get-ready-for-a-future-where-antibiotics-no-longer-work

Gonorrhea, Tuberculosis, and Pneumonia are all seeing drug resistant strains on the rise.

Mono, you should read the last bit of the article:

QuoteThe WHO doesn't say that a full "post-antibiotic era" is inevitable, but that it's "a very real possibility." So here's what people can do to prevent it.

Because antibiotic overuse is the main problem here, you should only take antibiotics that have been prescribed to you by a doctor.

But there's a twist: when you are prescribed antibiotics, you should take all of them — every last pill. While it might seem sensible to stop taking the pills when you feel better, it increases the chances that bacteria are still alive in your body and will survive and multiply, spreading their resistance to future generations.

I do take every last antibiotic pill.  But I won't go to a doctor every time if I need antibiotics.  Because I am the better judge of whether I need them or not.  The only place on earth where there is a semi-reliable medical history of myself is my head.  Most doctors don't have access to *any* of my medical records.  They work with a blank state most of the time.  I know which antibiotic I am allergic to; they don't.  If I need them, I am going to walk in a drug store and buy them.  That takes a lunch break.  I am not going to take half a day off and go through all the trouble of seeing someone who doesn't know me at all just to get the exact same thing.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2014, 04:43:12 PM
I am not sure which one I am worried about more, the acidification of the oceans or this.  Thanks for brightening my day Jacob.

:console:

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2014, 05:27:44 PM
http://www.vox.com/2014/5/1/5669526/get-ready-for-a-future-where-antibiotics-no-longer-work

Gonorrhea, Tuberculosis, and Pneumonia are all seeing drug resistant strains on the rise.

Mono, you should read the last bit of the article:

QuoteThe WHO doesn't say that a full "post-antibiotic era" is inevitable, but that it's "a very real possibility." So here's what people can do to prevent it.

Because antibiotic overuse is the main problem here, you should only take antibiotics that have been prescribed to you by a doctor.

But there's a twist: when you are prescribed antibiotics, you should take all of them — every last pill. While it might seem sensible to stop taking the pills when you feel better, it increases the chances that bacteria are still alive in your body and will survive and multiply, spreading their resistance to future generations.

I do take every last antibiotic pill.  But I won't go to a doctor every time if I need antibiotics.  Because I am the better judge of whether I need them or not.  The only place on earth where there is a semi-reliable medical history of myself is my head.  Most doctors don't have access to *any* of my medical records.  They work with a blank state most of the time.  I know which antibiotic I am allergic to; they don't.  If I need them, I am going to walk in a drug store and buy them.  That takes a lunch break.  I am not going to take half a day off and go through all the trouble of seeing someone who doesn't know me at all just to get the exact same thing.

I know it's a meme, but how often do you purchase antibiotics? I made fun of Viking for it but I agree with him and Sheilbh that for an average person with a functioning immune system, they aren't needed very often.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 06:42:20 PM

I know it's a meme, but how often do you purchase antibiotics? I made fun of Viking for it but I agree with him and Sheilbh that for an average person with a functioning immune system, they aren't needed very often.

I think I've only bought antibiotics 2 or 3 times in my life  :lol:  I do buy prescription only ulcer drugs every month or so because I need them daily.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2014, 07:04:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2014, 06:42:20 PM

I think I've only bought antibiotics 2 or 3 times in my life  :lol:  I do buy prescription only ulcer drugs every month or so because I need them daily.

:lol: :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.