News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Hoops 2013

Started by PDH, November 09, 2013, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on February 12, 2014, 08:10:48 AM
Wyoming beats number 5 San Diego State in Laramie.  This team has scrapped all year, and lost a few by very close margins, so it is good to see they pulled this one out.

That's a great win for Wyoming.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

WVU just destroyed #11 Iowa State a couple nights ago, 102-77, and the leading scorer was a French dude, to boot.  I guess this is the time of the season to start getting hot.  If WVU splits the rest of their games & maybe adds another quality win plus a win in the first round of the Big 12 tournament, I don't see how they can be kept out of the big dance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 08:32:41 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 12, 2014, 08:10:48 AM
Wyoming beats number 5 San Diego State in Laramie.  This team has scrapped all year, and lost a few by very close margins, so it is good to see they pulled this one out.

That's a great win for Wyoming.

Big win indeed.  Wyoming went to OT vs New Mexico, had a chance to go to OT vs UNLV before a shot didn't fall...things just didn't happen.  San Diego State had won 20 in a row, but Wyoming put it together last night.  There is a chance Wyoming could end up number 3 in the conference, and that would be important to rebuilding the program.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

So ESPN/Fox decided not to pick up the WVU-Texas game so it reverted to the Longhorn Network, which is prickishly not sharing it for broadcast in West Virginia.  So now I need to figure a way to access an online Longhorn Network stream.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Wyoming is now 4th in the Mountain West - the boys from Laramie just held San Jose State to a 9 point second half.  While that is a "woof woof" of a game to watch or listen to, it is sweet music to my ears.  Now the brown and gold just needs to win out...and I mean all the way through the NCAAs...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Wyoming beat Fresno State last night, 72-66.  They are a half game out of 3rd in the Mountain West.  Still, the big news was awful.  Larry Nance, Jr went down with 14 minutes left in the 2nd with an apparent blown knee.  The best player, rebounder, shooter, everything for the team.

That end of the court is cursed.  A decade ago the last real great player from the state of Wyoming, Marcus Bailey blew out his knee going for a simple layup.

God hates the Cowboys - just when they seem on the cusp of something, there is the cold reminder that this is Wyoming.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 15, 2014, 07:37:08 PM
So ESPN/Fox decided not to pick up the WVU-Texas game so it reverted to the Longhorn Network, which is prickishly not sharing it for broadcast in West Virginia.  So now I need to figure a way to access an online Longhorn Network stream.

Sorry man.  I did think that was absurd.  I hope you caught a good stream.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2014, 09:22:52 AM

Sorry man.  I did think that was absurd.  I hope you caught a good stream.

Some dude had it on ustream but it got taken down early in the 2nd half.  WVU was well behind at that point, so I guess I had seen enough.  WVU is looking like an NIT team and I'm okay with that as long as they make a good run in it.

PDH

Ugh, torn ACL.  Good thing his father has connections from his NBA days. Maybe some of that stem-cell magic could come into play.  Nance may never play for the Cowboys again, but in a couple of years he could be back to real playing shape with some of that new magic.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

The LHN is an ESPN network.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 20, 2014, 08:53:11 AM

The LHN is an ESPN network.

Fine, but it wasn't available for streaming like most ESPN games are.  Otherwise it would've been a simple matter of firing up the Xbox & watching it there.  Or watching it on my laptop/tablet.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 09:15:39 AM
Fine, but it wasn't available for streaming like most ESPN games are.  Otherwise it would've been a simple matter of firing up the Xbox & watching it there.  Or watching it on my laptop/tablet.

Yeah, that part sucks.  They stream it for LHN subscribers only, like ESPN3 is only available for people who have service through certain companies (or certain combinations of companies). 

Speaking of which, I wonder if TWC, now that they've been bought by/merged with/whatever Comcast (or will be bought unless blocked by the gubmint), will still only allow ESPN3 for people with both their cable and internet service.

E:  Oh yeah.  Syracuse lost to BC.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 20, 2014, 09:41:33 AM

Yeah, that part sucks.  They stream it for LHN subscribers only, like ESPN3 is only available for people who have service through certain companies (or certain combinations of companies). 

Speaking of which, I wonder if TWC, now that they've been bought by/merged with/whatever Comcast (or will be bought unless blocked by the gubmint), will still only allow ESPN3 for people with both their cable and internet service.

E:  Oh yeah.  Syracuse lost to BC.

I get ESPN3 as I'm a Time Warner customer, but when I clicked through the deliberately misleading "watch this game now!" link on ESPN.com, all ended up with was an online form to for me to tell TWC to get off its keister and pay for LHN :(

Valmy

ESPN is weird about the LHN.  The network was never supposed to be about Men's Basketball or Football (well outside of the games against Northeastern Virginia Polytechnic in the OOC schedule).  It is supposed to be about the non-revenue sports and doing analysis and showing old games.  Them trying to use this for leverage is annoying...or was until I got the LHN.  Man it is awesome, not sure how I got along without it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 20, 2014, 11:20:03 AM
I get ESPN3 as I'm a Time Warner customer, but when I clicked through the deliberately misleading "watch this game now!" link on ESPN.com, all ended up with was an online form to for me to tell TWC to get off its keister and pay for LHN :(

TWC has the LHN.  Or it does in Texas, I figured it would one of those fancy specialty sports stations outside of Texas but I guess not.